Best fork gaitors/boots?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I had Mikes fork gaitors on a bike before and they looked great....when I wasn't on the bike. When I was, they compressed and got all wonky. The stock boots on my CB500 don't do that. They hold their shape well, even when compressed.

Where can I get some nice fork boots for the XS that will hold their shape?

Attachments

• Daystar%20gaiters.jpg
    Daystar%20gaiters.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Did you punch a hole in the bottom accordian? The boots are like bellows, air goes out but can't get back in. The resulting vacuum collaspes the boot. A small !/4" or less hole should allow air to flow in fast enough the boot won't collaspe.

I don't think the vent holes have anything to do with it, the ones from Mike's are just a crap product is all. It's been widely reported on these lists that they literally fall apart in about a year. Look on the bright side - you got 2 for 1, crappy looks and quality, and all for one price, lol. The ones I use look good, cost less than $10 a pair, and have been on some of my bikes for near 15 years.

I did punch a vent hole and mine held up just fine. They just compressed in an uneven way and appeared to be too long when there was a load on the forks.

The stock Honda boots are of a much thicker rubber with less, but wider, bellows. The hold their shape well even when compressed.

I don't think the vent holes have anything to do with it, the ones from Mike's are just a crap product is all. It's been widely reported on these lists that they literally fall apart in about a year. Look on the bright side - you got 2 for 1, crappy looks and quality, and all for one price, lol. The ones I use look good, cost less than $10 a pair, and have been on some of my bikes for near 15 years.

That was his question. Where did you get the ones you use that look and work good?

John

And I'm not answering him. I've posted about these many times in the past. A simple search will turn up the info - or even simpler, look at one of the similar threads listed at the bottom of the page. This guy asks questions like this all the time - easily answered with a little research on his part (which he never does). Then if you do answer, he never follows the advice anyway.

Screw you, 5Twins. That was uncalled for. Search doesn't always provide the answers.
Matter of fact, why don't we just shut down the forum and put up a link to Google?

We're here to help each other and talk about motorcycles.

Using your suggestion to look at the similar threads, I see you mention $5 truck boots at the auto parts store, but you don't mention what store, what brand, how long they are, nor do you post a pic. They sell 20" long boots for off road trucks, too, ya know.

All the other threads are asking the same thing I am with no real answer, other than the same discussion about MikesXS's parts.

And this whole "he never researches" stuff? Please tell me where the hidden camera in my office is so I can have it removed.

You're smart, knowledgeable and obviously have tons of experience with the XS. There's no reason for personal attacks on someone you've had no direct interaction with.

Last edited:
5twins,

Scott is the guy that I go to when I can't find a part. He does his homework and his research, so you must be thinking of some one else.

The 100 finger walz? or The 100 finger Dummy Spitting Show? 650Rider had similar experiences with the 'Guru' ego. Funny as a fart when he deleted all his posts after being called out. I do miss John.

Back