best or favorite clutch/throttle cables?

Motion Pro or original N.O.S. for the clutch. The MikesXS throttle cables are OK. DO NOT get a MikesXS clutch cable. They're a P.O.S., breaking in as little as 400 miles.

YZ style clutch lever and EZ pull cables from 650central. Also, mike is awesome to deal with.

Posted via Mobile

Most guys on here will say motion pro and I'd agree but I've been using one from Mike's for well over two years now and it shows no wear. I think if a cable is properly installed and doesn't pull weird to one side or against something it shouldnt you'll be fine with almost any common replacement. Just my 2 pennies...

I like to keep my clutch,throttle cables well lubed....they last a long time,My cable oiler was bought in 1979 in Somerset,UK when I lived there before coming to Canada.

yes I'm an old bugger:D

Maybe you're just lucky and got a better (thicker) cable. That's the problem with most of their clutch cables. They use a skinnier wire core .....

CablesCompared.jpg

But sometimes they get a batch of the thicker cables. The problem is, you never know which type you'll get. It's usually the skinny one and they just don't hold up to the stiffer clutch pull most of these bikes have.

I got 5 or 6K on a skinny Mikes cable before it snapped right up at the hand lever. Considering the fact that I've had many other bikes with clutch cables that lasted for many years and 10s of thousands of miles, I didn't think that was very good. I e-mailed Mikes about it. They replied that cables are a wear item. Well, duh, I know that, I just expected it to "wear" longer than it did, lol. I also mentioned the skinny wire core. They said their customers prefer that because it pulls easier. Now that's total bullshit right there. The thicker replacement I installed pulls just the same as their shit skinny one. I think the real story is the skinny ones cost them less, lol.

Just compare the inner cable diameters. If your current cable has the thick core like a Motion Pro or O.E.M. it'll probably be fine. It's easy to see the difference comparing them side by side.

Back