Best way to go for 18inch wheels

Scgoobertn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 81 heritage i was going to make a bobber out of, but changed my mind and doing cafe. Trying to figure out my options for 18 front and rear... Thanks for any advice!

Getting tires for 19" is more and more problematic. As a Norton Commando owner I know.

It you are going to re-rim a spoked hub I would certainly go with 17", the standard sport-touring size for about the last 15 years.

If you want spoked 18" wheels and have your stock hubs, get new rims and spokes and give 'er hell!

This. Something to consider: 18" tires are most common on the rear, making front sizes sorta hard to come by and the selection is limited. If you go 19" front and 18" rear, suddenly your tire selection gets a helluva lot larger!

Getting tires for 19" is more and more problematic. As a Norton Commando owner I know.

It you are going to re-rim a spoked hub I would certainly go with 17", the standard sport-touring size for about the last 15 years.

There are a lot of options out there for 17's front and rear, that's for sure.

Go 18" front and back, great tyres available, dunlop TT100, TT900, Avon, Bridgestone and all the rest make great 18" steerers. 19" is for trackers, a true cafe is 18". 17" is to modern for my taste! New spokes and a new rim will lace to both front and rear hubs. Go ali akront style, the ultimate in my opinion!

Posted via Mobile

If you make both rims the same size the rear tire will be taller than the front, which is the way most modern bikes look but may not be what you want for a retro style one. Older bikes had things the other way around. If you're fitting a 110 at both ends it's not going to matter but if you put a 140 at the back I think it looks better if the front rim is an inch bigger than the back.

Back