Big Bore Big Block Kit i just found on a new source!

Actual questions regarding the XS650 Big Block Kit application. Is there a preferred series or year span XS engine to start with to best utilize the big top end. Being only familiar with the 77-79 era I am both aware of those engine components and of course prefer what I am familiar with.
Is an 82 engine a good candidate for the Big Bore top end?
I prefer the 77-79 points ignition and carbureation. Can a 82 engine be easily equipped with 77-79 ignition? Wondering about the timing advance rod primarily..
:umm:

gggGary has been posting extremely clear pics lately. Carb parts, Big Bore Kit pics.. is there a camera upgrade lately?
You're the one with the great scenery shots today!
Mostly just the phone, Galaxy S6. I am on my 3rd used Nikon Coolpix S5200 ( the telephoto lens mechanism is a bit weak and accidental ons in my pocket wreak havoc). Those jet pics were the nikon in macro mode then cropped. I also tend to post process (crop, color adjust resize) many pics on the computer , with FastStone Image viewer 6.7 a simple cheap photo editor.
Snow was getting deep so we went out and tromped down a few miles of our ski trails with snow shoes today. Enough work to keep us warm in the windy single digit temps. Cold and mittens didn't help so shot's a bit fuzzy.

Attachments

• snowshoe.jpg
    snowshoe.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 96
Actual questions regarding the XS650 Big Block Kit application. Is there a preferred series or year span XS engine to start with to best utilize the big top end. Being only familiar with the 77-79 era I am both aware of those engine components and of course prefer what I am familiar with.
Is an 82 engine a good candidate for the Big Bore top end?
I prefer the 77-79 points ignition and carbureation. Can a 82 engine be easily equipped with 77-79 ignition? Wondering about the timing advance rod primarily..
:umm:
74 up for engines, up to 79 make for an easier 8 plate clutch conversion which is nearly a must do.
Getting an advance mech in a later cam a bit of an issue, AFAIK the late cams weren't reamed to final size for the advance shaft bushings.

Okay, well my 82 engine needs a camshaft regardless. The 82 had that clutch with the strange steel spring held clip and one less friction plate. I thought that era clutch was superior to say a 78?
Those Big Bore kits are so inexpensive and tempting to get ahold of!
The 82 engine is likely the one I would consider a project such as this on ..

Actual questions regarding the XS650 Big Block Kit application. Is there a preferred series or year span XS engine to start with to best utilize the big top end. Being only familiar with the 77-79 era I am both aware of those engine components and of course prefer what I am familiar with...

I believe that the BBK uses the same angled camchain tensioner system as used on '76-up engines. Doesn't that require a matching rear slipper?

A year or so ago there were prototype slippers running around here. Can't remember who was selling them.

Edit - Found it. Gary Hoos. Shows available soon. Crap

Last edited:
Oddly enough the next song on the youtube play list after that is my favorite QMS song Pride of Man.
That will be stuck in my head all day.

74 up for engines, up to 79 make for an easier 8 plate clutch conversion which is nearly a must do.
Getting an advance mech in a later cam a bit of an issue, AFAIK the late cams weren't reamed to final size for the advance shaft bushings.

Wouldn’t an E advance easily solve that issue?

This is such a great community. I emailed Gary Hoos this morning about the cam chain guide and yes he does have them. Bought and paid for before noon on Sunday. Awesome vender. As a added bonus I got the last set of valve springs with titanium retainers in existence. Old Brown had a set that I bought in Don Vesco's shop back in the 70's and now that I'm building a engine for her I was glad to get the last set.

This is such a great community. I emailed Gary Hoos this morning about the cam chain guide and yes he does have them. Bought and paid for before noon on Sunday. Awesome vender. As a added bonus I got the last set of valve springs with titanium retainers in existence. Old Brown had a set that I bought in Don Vesco's shop back in the 70's and now that I'm building a engine for her I was glad to get the last set.

is the need for the guide because you are trying to swap out your cam?? or solely due to your motor being an 82 and it doesn’t have the right guide for a BBK to begin with??

The motor I'm building is a 447 motor and I'm collecting parts to build it reliable. The chain guide is a week spot in the 650 and the others that are available don't have a very reliable reputation. @gggGary had some beta test articles available last year and have not seen any negative reports about them.

I built 2 750s back in the 70's Both wiseco 10 to 1 kits. The first one was for Old Brown and was stock except for the kit. BS38's and stock cam. It was a strong engine that ran on premium pump gas (circa 1978) and was run at Texas World Speedway 3-4 times including my first riders school in 100+ degrees Texas summer humidity. Never had a problem with it.

The Race bike's engine on the other hand had the same wiseco kit along with a unmarked cam and valve springs with titanium retainers that I bought from Don Vesco. His engine guy handed me a box with the cam setup and said this is what you are looking for. That engine was a beast running on a 50-50 mix of pump premium and green av gas. Would pull 8300 RPM down the front straightaway with 18-32 sprockets

I guess I'm reliving my youth.

Thanks for the info.

I have an 81 motor that I am just about to start tearing into and picked up a BBK for it.

My plan is to make it a solid bike, kinda like a stock 750.

do you have a link to the guide you purchased?? I see one listed on his site... I’m guessing that’s it??

is the need for the guide because you are trying to swap out your cam?? or solely due to your motor being an 82 and it doesn’t have the right guide for a BBK to begin with??

I think perhaps this is what your thinking about.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/cam-chain-tensioners.1056/

Any 74 and up 447 style motor is fine for the BBK. The later tensioner is the prefered setup . Any will work but there is a clearance issue with the later linked BS38 carbs and the 74-75 tensioner. Not sure about the BS34 carbs.

The slipper I ordered from Hoos works on 74 and up.

Regarding points and the BBK. I prefer a crank timed ignition as it is set and forget. If the points timing isn't spot on the high compression 750 setup can kick the crap out of you kick starting and/or be really rough on the electric starter.
On my 75 race engine (10.5 compression ratio and advanced timing ) it on occasion would spit a carb off like a shotgun blast trying to push start it much to the amusement of the UJM guys .

Back