Bike bogs down in the cold. Sometimes when it rains.

thunderdork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody would have any advice for troubleshooting a bogged down engine. It seems anytime there is a cold snap my engine bogs down. On a couple occasions its also happened just after it rained (although not the last time). But its fairly certain that if the temperature drops, I'm gonna be bogged down. Bike maxes out at around 45mph. It sounds normal at idle, but once I put it into gear and let out the clutch its starts sounding like its only firing on one cylinder or something.

Sounds like you've got a 'tuned for the drought' machine. You'll be fine the other 361 days of the year.

We've gone through the summertime/wintertime fuel blend change, you may have summertime blend fuel (low reid vapor pressure, evaporates less), and the engine is running lean. Could confirm this by momentarily engaging the fuel enrichener to see if it improves.

If so, probably need to clean-up the carbs, maybe up one on the jets, buy better fuel.

Otherwise, could check the ignition system for moisture-sensitive electrical problems, like a crack in a coil, or a poor/corroded bullet connector...

Back