bike feels boggy when riding it. need help!

Doom89

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i have a 1978 xs650. i just bought it a month ago and am still kinda new to yamahas. so this is the deal. when ever i take off on the bike or when shifting to another gear it feels really boggy. i have to keep the rpms really high to shift gears and take off so it doesnt bog out. should i try syncing the carbs? clean them? rebuild them? i also bought the bike with the exhaust cut in half so there is no muffler on them. could it be bogging because there isnt enough back pressure from the exhaust? any advice or pictures or videos would be greatly appreciated

It doesn't hurt to clean them lol and a new set of plugs mite help to the mufflers mite help to or some baffles in there could help out

If the bike is new to you and everything is an unknown in the carbs, I'd pull them and sit down with the carb guide and go through it and clean and check everything. The carb guide is in the tech section, and is quite thorough. It has many pictures to guide you through where things are and they are described well as to their effect on running. Since a number of conditions can cause bogging down, this would be your best place to start. The exhaust can have a serious effect on your output, but you need to know what you are feeding through it to make a determination. Open pipes suck and rob power, and are difficult to achieve good drivability with.

Back