bike has nasty backfire on idle (finally got it running)

malloym

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so after sitting for a year I finally gave life to my chop today... the thing ran like a top before the cafe to brat change over.. the only things I changed to the engine was a hugh PM setup and the mikesxs carbs...

I can get the bike to start 2nd kick. however it sounds like a shotgun. it's got a real nasty backfireon idle ( i didn't even want to drive it )... the rpms don't seem to high... I put my hand over the pipes and in the matter of 4 seconds my hand was black (covered in soot)

anyone got any ideas??? i'm thinking it's either igniton or the carbs are soo outa wack it's not even funny.

It's the latter. You put on new carbs, and they're way too rich. It can cause wear on the cylinders and rings to run it that way for long.

I'm not saying that. You should expect to do at least a little tuning on any new carb.

i don't think alittle tuning is going to cut it.. my bike is running on life support and I can't seem to find any data on these carbs for tuning.... it's like trying to take a piss in the dark.

There is a couple threads on these carbs. Do a little research and you may find an answer.
Leo

Back