bike runs fine then stutters and dies

bret

'81 Special
Reaction score
my bike will start and run fine for a couple of minutes but then the neutral light will go very dim and the bike will start to stutter and eventually die. what could be my problem?

Sounds like the electrical system is weak. Check battery state of charge, and capaicity (have it load tested) and check all your connections, especially grounds, and make sure they are clean and tight. Is your fuse box original? They are known to be rotted pieces of crap.

Fuse box is from the mikesxs wiring system. The wiring system is about a year and a half old now. What exactly does having it "load tested" mean? Sorry, I am young.

pull your battery and take it to an automotive parts store like advance/pep boys and they should be able to load test it for you. Should be a free service.

Bret, almost any auto supply store will have the "load tester".
And it does just that. An electric load is put on the battery to see if it holds the cranking amps. A batteries voltage could check OK a load test determines if it can sustain the voltage under a load, like the starter turning.

Have you checked your brush length( a maintenance item with approx 5k life)? A check of the resistence on the slip rings of the rotor would be the 3rd thing I checked after the battery and brushes.

A warning about suspect batteries. If it is poor and the alternator has to work all the time to keep it charged you will overheat and shorten the life of your rotor.
Batteries are cheap. Compared to replacing the rotor and battery.

Load test the battery if its knackered repalce it. Before doing so check:

a) alternator is putting out correct voltage
b) rec reg unit is allowing up to 14v through - put a metre over the +ve -ve terminals and rev upt to 4000 - if its going upwards of 15v + it will knacker your new battery

Back