Bike stalls at stop lights? Carb or electrical?

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I'm just getting my bike running first few small rides. I having some carb issues for sure. I'm also having an electrical issue. Is it possible that I have a bad ground or some other electrical issue that would cause my bike to stall at idle? The bike does seem to cut out for a sec while i'm giving it gas. I thought it was a carb issue but now I'm thinking it may be electrical? Any help?

If your idle is set below the 1200 spec, it can just up and stall sometimes. I thought 1200 was too high when I first got my 650 but it needs it.

I'm sorry, yeah I put 45 and 137.5 in my 34's. The bike is an 83 heritage special. Carbs need balanced for sure and I think I may need a size larger on the mains. I'm just wondering what is causing my idle stalls. My battery was also drained too. Im using one of those super small batteries from 650 central. Some elec/carb is causing some problems.

possible simple problems that can do this:
low idle speed
dragging clutch
bad timing
lean idle air screw adjustment (that will make it stall on acceleration too, I think)

and lots, lots more things.

Remember that though these are fairly big twins, they have a light flywheel so you can't set them up to have a low loping idle like you can a BMW. The beemer with that 18 lb flywheel.

see if the bike idles in neutral

if the clutch drags, when you try to switch into gear the bike will lurch forward.

double check your air idle adjustments - that is an easy fix and has a stock setting.

They can be....Id try running some seafoam and double check the charging system. Maybe a larger battery is in order too

Find out why your battery is being drained...................that's a problem area that should be corrected first. The obvious answer is the charging system is not working.

Focus on one area, such as battery charging,...................when that is 100% then move on to chasing carbs etc.

Tons of threads here on charging/battery problems..............."Search"

Charging system is working. The battery that I"m using is the 12v 0.08 battery from 650 central. I cannot have the key on for very long without the bike running or the brake light / tail light will drain the battery. I not sure but when the bike stalled I may have left the key on causing the battery to drain. When I got home and tested the battery it was a 8v.

Yes, if you have a small battery, and leave the ignition on with the engine off.....................the battery will discharge. Rule #1 with these bikes, don't leave the ignition on, with the engine off.

In my opinion, there's no substitute for a stock size 14 amp/hr battery. If you keep using small batteries, you're certain to have electrical problems.

carbs are magical. they can make your bike go, stop shoot fire or even in my case once burst into flames.

HAHA quote of the day!!

Alright I was messing around tonight. I synced my carbs by ear yesterday. They were pretty damn close! I used a manometer tonight and have them perfect. I believe my issue is electrical. My bike started with a barely charged battery, maybe around 10v but I don't remember. My bike charges at 12 at idle and goes to 14 at around 3000rpms until I turn my lights on. Then it kinda struggles and eventually shuts down. The bike will immediately shut down if I hit the brakes. I also noticed I have a burned out taillight. I'm going to replace both the taillight an brake light with leds. Do you guys think this can be a bad ground? What about my blown taillight shorting something out? I'm going to check the brushes tomorrow too and see what happens.

sounds like one of the legs of your stator is out, or your regulator is bad.

it should be > 12v at idle, more like 13.5 and go up to 14.4 and hold there.

Sounds like you're getting low voltage, which is crapping on your electrical.

Legs? Are you talking about the white wires coming off the stator? My bike was charging fine for the past few months when I would start the bike bike up. These past two days are the first miles I've put on the bike. Is a bad ground out of the question? Sorry for the rookie questions. I wired the bike up from scratch and it was the first time I've done any wiring. This is also the first time I've been into a set of carbs.

Back