Bike Start Up How Long Do You Run Choke (if at all?)

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just purchased a new to me 1975 xs650b as you can tell from my other threads is that I am trying to learn as much about these bikes as possible (yes i ordered a service manual). Anyways the PO indicated that the bike liked to be warmed up for several minutes with the choke on, if i was to take off before it would stall... The PO another member of this site took great care of the bike (previous Yamaha mechanic at the dealership the bike was sold).

Is that pretty normal behavior?

Thanks!

You should be able to drive off with the enrichener open, even if the motor is not warm enough to run without it, at least I've never had a bike that wouldn't. My Road Star (like most of them) won't fuel flawlessly on a cold morning til it's ran about 4-5 miles on about half way out on the enrichener, but they load up and get rich stumbles at idle if you dial the mixture screw up to shorten that time. It's a balance, and you want it to run flawlessly when it's warm, even if it's a little finicky when cold. Others here with more experience will speak to the "normality" of your situation.

Considering it's late summer in Florida That sounds kinda lean to me.
Generally in warm weather they will start with little or no choke and with care you can turn off any choke as soon as it starts and ride off.

Yes Leo it's an enrichener not a choke.

How is the bike set up?

Gary's description is pretty much what my XS does, and I'm in Maine right now. It's still in the 70's up this way for the most part (til next week)

With my bike the choke is only on for 10 to 12 seconds. The engine won't run after that if I was to leave the choke on. My choke is either full 100% on or off, no partial settings.

Normal start for me is choke on, start the engine, 10 seconds later choke off, turn the carbs idle speed screw up a few turns to keep the rpm at 1200 while the engine is cold. I let the engine warm up for a few minutes, while I get my helmet, jacket and gloves on. As the engine warms up, idle rpm wants to go upward to 1400 to 1600 so I turn the idle speed screw back down to 1200 rpm.

You want to keep the rpms down while the oil is cold to prevent ripping the sump filter (strainer).

Cold engine..................must use choke. Hot engine, no choke required.

Back