Engine rebuild advice needed

Hi Muckroot. I'm seeing the pictures now. I'd check the frame and motor numbers. I don't know if Colorado issues a "title" when you register a motorcycle, but those alloy wheels were not '75 issue. It looks like the (dreaded) PO threw a bunch of parts together to make a motorcycle. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a '75 motor in a later model frame (or "Frankenbike"). Be prepared to fasten your seat belt and return your tray table to its upright and locked position, because it's looking more like that bike is going to need all new everything before you have a safe and reliable runner. :twocents: :popcorn:
I'm counting on it. Going to overhaul the frame with a hard tail kit, new neck gussets, and a completely new front end from TC bros. Plus new spoked wheels, brakes, tank, seat, wiring, and the engine is getting an overhaul as well. Like I said, every spare cent is going into this bike lol.

If your even thinking about rebuilding a stock crank you can do a 277 rephase for just a little more $ and a good set of Carrillo rods too. You might as well bump it up to a 750cc and do some porting, cam and valve springs and kit. If your going to do a PMA you can get a Hughs CDI or a VAPE and eliminate your electrical problems altogether. You`ll need a good set of aftermarket Mikuni`s to feed it. Take a look at Hoos Racing. It`s like a wonderland of great XS650 stuff. VooDoo Vintage has good hardtail stuff too. Good luck with your build.:thumbsup:

I'm counting on it. Going to overhaul the frame with a hard tail kit, new neck gussets, and a completely new front end from TC bros. Plus new spoked wheels, brakes, tank, seat, wiring, and the engine is getting an overhaul as well. Like I said, every spare cent is going into this bike lol.

Sounds very right to me man I have been looking at doing the same thing if I can find an xs in m area for reasonable. They are tough to come by around here.

Thanks for the info! I'll make sure to locate the bearings correctly when I reassemble. Hopefully the shop won't charge more than $20-30 to fix this chip.
Not sure i would try and fix the case. I have many sitting around just replace your parts in it, Just cover shipping. Email me at gary@hoosracing.com if you decide to change it out.

If your even thinking about rebuilding a stock crank you can do a 277 rephase for just a little more $ and a good set of Carrillo rods too. You might as well bump it up to a 750cc and do some porting, cam and valve springs and kit. If your going to do a PMA you can get a Hughs CDI or a VAPE and eliminate your electrical problems altogether. You`ll need a good set of aftermarket Mikuni`s to feed it. Take a look at Hoos Racing. It`s like a wonderland of great XS650 stuff. VooDoo Vintage has good hardtail stuff too. Good luck with your build.:thumbsup:

Just built a 277, Did a case split rebuild, It adds up! vape ignition $595.00 crank timed, Megacycle cam (they don't cut your cam in half) $585.Crank $300 labor i put new Mikesxs rods/pins and bearings $250 ( Carrillo rods are $750 no pins or bearings) carb kit with intakes/filters/cable/carbs $390.00 . Shell/JE 750 $585 including sleeves and boring. (don't do 11-1 for the street) . I do all my own crank work, and may have a good used one left i will check tomorrow. pm me if you want to.

Last edited:
Back