Bike starts hesitating at 4500-5000 rpms

hogtyed

Paul
Reaction score
The 79 has been running flawlessly. Today I start it up and it's backfiring a bit at idle. I get it warmed up and take it for a bit of a spin hoping that it was just fuel fouled. It cleared up the issue. I head out for a ride and after awhile hit the highway then it starts to hesitate. I'm running a Pamco with factory advance. The plugs looked alright, but I'll get new ones tomorrow. I did wash the bike last night, but don't think I got water anywhere it shouldn't have been. The Pamco was dry as a bone when I took the cover off.

Thoughts or ideas?

Sounds like a loose connection problem if all was good before, check your gas cap vent, mine was plugged and acted similar .

The 79 has been running flawlessly. Today I start it up and it's backfiring a bit at idle. I get it warmed up and take it for a bit of a spin hoping that it was just fuel fouled. It cleared up the issue. I head out for a ride and after awhile hit the highway then it starts to hesitate. I'm running a Pamco with factory advance. The plugs looked alright, but I'll get new ones tomorrow. I did wash the bike last night, but don't think I got water anywhere it shouldn't have been. The Pamco was dry as a bone when I took the cover off.

Thoughts or ideas?
You could also try to scrub the carbon off with a semi rigid wire brush. I was having issues with fowling for a bit, and I would chuck them out and get new ones....Then I just started cleaning them up and they worked fine. I also found mine was backfiring a lot last summer, especially going down hills while my bike was coasting. But I did a lot of screwing around with the carbs including a thorough cleaning and that seemed to solve a lot of it.

Back