Bike too low. Kickstand up touching the ground

Today I found a local guy with a hardtail frame. Says the hardtail is just tacked on because he ran out of interest or whatever. Wants 100 for the frame. Gona check it out this weekend. Not getting my hopes up. Defiantly know what to look for now

Hi RFritz,
just had a nasty thought, you did check that the motor runs and the tranny shifts before you laid the money down?

Hi,

What a shame. It loks like a good bike in the making. I'd say you have a couple of options, both involve junking the frame, as that's not worth spending time on. 1. Remove the headstock and get a frame from the Likes of Voodoo Vintage, where you can weld on your own headstock, engine mounts etc. 2. Buy a donor bike / frame and hardtail it with one of the many available weld on hardtail kits out there - TC bros, Voodoo etc

Paul

The motor didn't have carbs on it so it didn't run. Again, he said he drove it before so I took his word for it. I rebuilt it anyway. Changed the cam chain, guides, and piston rings. The trans shifts. A donor bike is probably my best bet

$800, not a bad spot to be in. So, you don't think the front part of the frame is usable either? I can't figure out what the issue is with that top tube, oversized tube over the stock tube? TC Bros instructions are online and might help to describe where to cut and what stock part of the frame is kept when using their hardtail. If the front of the frame hasn't been altered to "unusable", maybe a gusset or two can save the front of the frame, a few shared measurements could help you decide.

I'm using a recycled TC Bros hardtail and was impressed with the workmanship of it, considering the retail price, except for the rear lower cross member that was tacked in 1/4" out of square to the other tubes, glad I caught that before mounting the battery and electric box. That 1/4" would have been real noticeable with my other parts on.

Scott

The front was defiantly modified. The front 2 tubes where they were cut and welded aren't even straight. They are angled. Every hardtail kit I looked at looks nothing like mine. Mine looks 100% homemade. I'm not even gona mess with it

The front was defiantly modified. The front 2 tubes where they were cut and welded aren't even straight. They are angled. Every hardtail kit I looked at looks nothing like mine. Mine looks 100% homemade. I'm not even gona mess with it

Read TC Bros instructions, it will give you some info about what is correct and not correct for any hardtail/frame that you might be looking at.

Scott

Hi RFritz,
did you type in "defiantly modified" on purpose or is the list's shiny new auto-spellchecker doing it again?
For sure it's still morphing rephased into rephrased so you gotta go back and fix it if you notice or seem ignorant if you don't and I don't NEED help in seeming ignorant.
But back to the fucked-up frame. You are right, scrap it. Save the neck if it's titled (check the list's classifieds, a titled neck is a sellable asset) and chop up the rest into parts that'll fit in the recycle bin.
As to the $949.99 custom frame, like you say, if the frame you are currently looking at don't pan out, at least the custom frame will just need a lick of paint to be ready for assembly.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry. Missed that typo.
Thanks for the advise everybody. Going to be a winter project
Hi RFritz,
no, you done good!
"Defiantly modified" paints a great word-picture of Joe Bodger hunched over his buzzbox muttering
"Nobody gonna fuckin' tell me I don't fuckin' know what the fuck I'm doin'!"
(Besides being an incompetent welder Joe tends to over-use that particular word.)
Good luck with the winter project.
And I'll post this horror story again, just for your amusement:-
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...can-be-printed-here-anyways&highlight=sidecar

Last edited:
Back