Bike wont runnnn!!!

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just got done rebuilding my carbs, new float needles etc, rebuild kit from mikes. The gas was coming out of the air jets before i redid them. I put the carbs back on the bike and hooked up the fuel line opened the screws on the bottom of the carbs and gas was flowing out so that was a good sign, screwed them back in and no gas has came out of the air jets yet (knock on wood) i set the float height at 22mm, plastic floats, bs34. I tried kicking it nothing happened, battery is charged, i sprayed fuel into the chambers and kicked it over and it started but once it burnt up it stopped again. I have no clue what it is, about ready to take a match to it and watch it burn!!! :banghead: Im running kick only, pamco advance unit with highoutput coil, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Motorbreath, I had a similar problem (BS38s) and found that I had put the float needle jets back incorrectly - with the clip the wrong side of the plastic disc. Every one can take their eye of the ball, and it may be something as simple as you have put something in incorrectly, or not securely (air leak).

Anlaf

Just a thought, Motorbreath, it doesn't sound as if the pilots are functioning - and I know on my BS38s the air screw and pilot combination controls the idle, so is there enough fuel in those bowls creating the right mix, or is there too much in there the jets cannot function? (float leaking).

If it was me, I would spend an hour dismantling the carbs and step-by-step put back together cross-referencing with the manual.

Anlaf

I have new pilots in along with 135 main jets i went up one size on both, im running pod filters with curved drag pipes, with the mix screw at 3 turns out, as far as i know the bowls are not leaking ill take them off tomorrow and go through them again

Also ill have to get someone else to cup there had over the carbs, my bike would fall over on me or something knowing my luck

When you rebuilt the carbs, did you insure that the choke jets were clear? If they're not, the choke will not function and the bike will be very hard to start cold. Here's what to check .....

ChokeJet2.jpg

Motorbreath, when you've got the carbs off, lift up the shaft controlling the butterfly valves and make sure they are moving smoothly and not sticking.

Anlaf

And, oh! yes - if you have pods, remove them and wash them in petrol or similar. They may well be so blocked-up no air (or little) can get through. Be amazed at the crud that comes out of those things. I am waiting fo rRamair to send me some to replace my pods.

Anlaf

Got the carbs back together, blew out all the jets and holes with compressor, and it fired up on the third kick. left cylinder keeps popping though, still needs some tuning i suppose, and the i broke the priming feature on the kickstart, i think, my kickstart doesnt go up all the way now only half way, but i can still start the bike!!!

Back