Bike wont start, Possible faulty Alternator

78bobber

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I had just recently got my 1978 xs650 bobber re-wired, new starter installed and new battery. Bike worked good for about a week, but now wont start up unless I use jumper cables.:confused::banghead:

I was wondering if this would be because my alternator has gone, and if I was to install the Permanent Magnet Alternator Kit if this would solve my problem?

I'm not to familiar with the electronics of the bike, so just looking for a second opinion before I drop 400 bucks on the kit and it doesn't solve the problem.:shrug:

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Lets start by welcoming you to our little forum, Welcome to XS650.com
I don't know how to link the thread but if you look up at the top of the page you will find an XS650 TECH button. This leads you to a list of subjects.
Scroll down to the electrical, Look for How To: Diagnose charging system problems. (charging system guide)
With this and a meter you can figure out if your stock system is working and what needs to be fixed. It may be as simple as a bad connection, Free fix, or cost a bunch to replace the rotor, stator, reg and rec.
Only way to be sure is to follow the guide and see what's wrong.
Looking through the Xs650 TECH might help you find many answers to many questions.
The thread just below the charging system guide is a good read to. It explains how the charging system works.
Leo

I agree it could be as simple as a bad connection, or there's a chance your new battery is no good already. I've had it happen. Have you tested the voltage?

78bobber, welcome to the forum.

A good investment is a multimeter - it comes handy to check for output on all the charging system elements from battery to... well, I presume you are on the stock rotor/stator system.

These bikes are old, and so are the connections. Be patient. I was having a problem which I identified (good old multimeter) as a failed rotor - I decided to go the PMA route, but, hey! that was just me, and there are plenty of folk on the forum who will advocate working out the problem and even replacing the rotor or stator if it comes to that. In the end, the choice is yours. By the way, the PMA is absolutely fantastic on my bike, and well worth the money handed over to Hugh.

Anlaf

Lets start by welcoming you to our little forum, Welcome to XS650.com
I don't know how to link the thread but if you look up at the top of the page you will find an XS650 TECH button. This leads you to a list of subjects.
Scroll down to the electrical, Look for How To: Diagnose charging system problems. (charging system guide)
With this and a meter you can figure out if your stock system is working and what needs to be fixed. It may be as simple as a bad connection, Free fix, or cost a bunch to replace the rotor, stator, reg and rec.
Only way to be sure is to follow the guide and see what's wrong.
Looking through the Xs650 TECH might help you find many answers to many questions.
The thread just below the charging system guide is a good read to. It explains how the charging system works.
Leo

Thanks Leo! i will look into the TECH section, hopefully its just lose connection but i would like to evenutally switch over to the PMA Kit, just looking forward to getting as much riding time before the season is over

Welcome 78bobber. Where in TO are you from? I'm in Scarborough and it would be nice to have another XS buddy in the area. Are you just getting an original up and running or do you have a build planned? Maybe a build thread would be a good place to document your progress. Have a look at mine. Just getting started which is just about complete. A better title would have been a good idea, but it is what it is. LOL

Welcome 78bobber. Where in TO are you from? I'm in Scarborough and it would be nice to have another XS buddy in the area. Are you just getting an original up and running or do you have a build planned? Maybe a build thread would be a good place to document your progress. Have a look at mine. Just getting started which is just about complete. A better title would have been a good idea, but it is what it is. LOL

Hey, i am from the vaughan area. Taking on someone else's project bike, she runs but needs a little tweeks here and there to be good for myself. Ill post a pic once i figure out how LOL, new to these forums.

photo11.JPG

Thats it

Back