Bike won't start randomly after being reliable for months

Zombie Yamaha

XS650 Member
Reaction score
First off my bike is 1980 yamaha xs650 mostly stock besides pods, exhaust, and jetted carbs.

My bike has been very reliable for the past few months since I had got it up and running last winter. Would kick over first kick every time and ran great. My bike sat in the garage for a week and a half while I was out of town. When I got back and went to start my bike it wouldn't kick over. Took about 15 minutes to finally get it going, let it warm up then rode it about 7 miles to a buddies house (bike was running fine) then about an hour later the bike wouldn't start the neutral light was very dim barely visible and none of the turn signals would work with the battery on:confused:. When kicking the bike I can smell fuel coming from exhaust so I know its getting fuel I'm going over to check spark today. Just wondering what else I should check for while I'm over there and if this is a electrical problem?... Also tried bump starting the bike it just sputtered then shot off..

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks guys:D

Your battery is dying or is dead..................likely cause, charging system is not fully charging. Probably the most common problem on these bikes.

Use the Google Custom Search in upper left corner, to find thousands of threads on this.

Zombie,

Sounds like a charging problem. The TCI doesn't like low voltage. Charge the battery on a trickle charger overnight and try again in the morning. Have your voltmeter already connected to the battery so you can monitor the voltage to see if it rises to 14.5. If the headlight doesn't come on when you start the engine, that's a sure sign that the alternator is not producing.

Was just going to mention it has newer battery that I charged to 100% or thats what the battery tender said yesterday after charging it for 10 hrs. This didn't change the problem. Thanks for the reply!

Pete,

my headlight was not working for about 2 months with the bike running, then randomly started working again consistently! Would this mean that my alternator isn't producing power consistently?

The problem with the original fuse panels is that the spring clips the fuses go into get weak then generate more heat which makes them get weaker etc.etc.

Do yourself a big favor and replace the stock fuses with automotive blade style fuses, you will be glad you did.

Yeah thats what I've heard.. Went back to my bike today and tested the spark (plugs and the wires) no spark from either cylinder..Doing research now on this topic

You said the battery is fairly new/just charged but have you tested its voltage with a volt meter? I've had brand new batteries shit out after properly filling and charging so it's something to check. Also as mentioned, ditch the stock fuse panel asap.

I am still using the original fuse panel. The fuses all look good theres minimal rust on connections but its in decent shape

Zombie,

Sorry to suggest this, but for every suggestion that we have made to help you, your answer is everything's fine. Well, it may very well be, but you have to actually test these things to be sure. "the fuses all look good" What the hell does that mean? I have changed fuses that look good but they were open due to heat buildup from poor contact with the fuse clips. You have to actually pull the fuses and ohm them and then clean the fuse clips. Even if that is not the problem, it has to be done. Your battery tender tells you that the battery is just fine. What you have to do is have the battery load tested. You say that your headlight has been intermittent. Well, that is a possible sign of a charging system problem, which I suggested about three posts ago, but instead of delving into that possibility further, you decided to check the spark plugs. I give up.

Thats a good point I should test the battery rather than believe the tender. I checked for spark because thats what my buddies dad suggested I didn't have a multimeter with me at the time since the bike is not in my garage. My next trip to the bike I will test fuses and battery thanks again guys.

You're catching on zombie. Smile and say thanks to your bud's dad but LISTEN to what the crew here says to do.

Back