Bike won't start

Shabba

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hmm, OK so I have been at this for 2 hours now. Getting spark from both plugs, gas is going into the chamber, engine is cranking but the dam thing will not fire. I get the odd flame shooting out of the right side pipe but thats it. WTH anyone have an idea what could be preventing it from starting?

I do have the left side engine cover off, the part that covers the stator, would that matter?

It shouldn't. That's where the timing marks are at, and with it running that is where you check it with a strobe light.

gas is going into the chamber

Just one? Are the carbs synced? If the carb boots have barbs are they capped? Clamps tight?

I get the odd flame shooting out of the right side pipe but thats it.

What ign are you running?

Sounds like a timing issue. If your running points try swapping the point wires on the coils. My Commando did Like your your saying. Swapped the leads and ran liked it should have. If you have 2 coils that is. If your running a single coil, sounds like timming is way retarded.

I'm running the stock ignition. Have dual coils. I have made sure that the top point wire IS going to the right side Coil. It is not a rebuild…the engine was running when I took the motor out to powder coat the frame. The boots do have barbs and they ARE capped. Could it be the Reg Rec? I'm pretty sure thats only for charging issues and voltage correct? It should still fire????

As long as you have a fully charged battery and are not trying to ride anywhere beyond walking distance then yes you can disconnect all of the charging system(stator and reg/rec) and give it a shot.

Is your choke working? Mine wasn't. I kicked that thing for hours. Sounded like your symptoms. Did you check your plugs? Are they wet? Dry? If they are dry, try the throttle on start-up.
Just re-read your post. You are getting fuel. Must be a timing issue.

Last edited:
Is your choke working? Mine wasn't. I kicked that thing for hours. Sounded like your symptoms. Did you check your plugs? Are they wet? Dry? If they are dry, try the throttle on start-up.
Just re-read your post. You are getting fuel. Must be a timing issue.

Hmm, How could the timing be out if nothing internal was touched? I know that the cam tensioner bolt was removed for a bit could that be it?

That odd flame shooting out the one pipe certainly sounds like the timing is switched between cylinders. A simple static timing check will tell you one way or the other.

That odd flame shooting out the one pipe certainly sounds like the timing is switched between cylinders. A simple static timing check will tell you one way or the other.

Umm not to sound stupid, but I am when it comes to this what is a static Timing check and how would one do such a check? LOL

:yikes:

Here's a thread that should help. Since you built the bike, you should be able to scrounge an instrument bulb and socket from the cluster you don't appear to be using. I lengthen the leads and put alligator clips on the ends so the "test" light can be easily clipped on and moved from points set to points set.

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/7984

You powder coated the frame.
Did you clean the powder coating off at all the engine mounts and grounds?
The engine grounds to the frame through the mounts. You need a good bare metal to bare metal contact through the mounts to the frame.
Any wiring grounds need the same bare metal to bare metal contact.
Leo

Another thing, when asking questions it's a good idea to tell us a bit more info, the year and model of your bike, any mods done.
A lot of us put this info in the signature, this is the thing below where we read the posts. You can find this in your profile.
Leo

Is a 78 special. I have ground the powder coat on all contact points to the engine.
I have done no engine mods at all. After reading other posts with similar problems
I am going to replace the condenser, clean the points and the go from there.

Back