Bike won't Start.

jservant

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 83xs650. I rebuit the carbs and the top end. The float bowl levels are set correctly and there is spark but it still wont start. Since I pulled the top end off and lapped the valves could the timing be off? Not sure why it wont start. Also I have to pull the clutch lever to start it, Is that normal? Even it is in neutral I have to pull the clutch in to start it. Any help would be great!

Also I have to pull the clutch lever to start it, Is that normal? Even it is in neutral I have to pull the clutch in to start it. Any help would be great!

Does your neutral light come on? I think the electronics aren't recognizing the neutral switch.

lockout2.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, looking at that diagram, the relay has to work for it to start with the clutch switch as well.

I suggest that if your neutral light comes on, and the connections are all good, then the diode in the relay is open. That would cause your problem. The diode can be replaced if you want to open the can. If the neutral light doesn't come on then either the light is out or the neutral switch is broken. Or some combination of the above....

Then if the connection from the switch up to the relay is good, then I guarantee the diode is open. You can get a relpacement at Radio Shack. 1N4001 or similar diode, for about a dime.

I had the opposite problem- the diode was shorted which made the clutch switch turn the neutral light on.

Actually, looking at that diagram, the relay has to work for it to start with the clutch switch as well.

I suggest that if your neutral light comes on, and the connections are all good, then the diode in the relay is open. That would cause your problem. The diode can be replaced if you want to open the can. If the neutral light doesn't come on then either the light is out or the neutral switch is broken. Or some combination of the above....

Which relay and how do I open the Can to replace the diode. Would that keep the bike from running?

Would that keep the bike from running?

No, you said it wouldn't start unless the clutch was pulled, even if it was in neutral. The diode open would keep the starter from operating unless the clutch was pulled even if the bike was in neutral and the neutral light was on. That's the only thing that could cause that, if the connections are good and the wiring is stock.

The clutch and neutral switches have nothing to do with whether it will start or not, only whether the starter motor runs or not. They have even less to do with whether it will start or not if you're getting spark in both cases :) :) :) It's impossible.

Thats what I thought, just was wondering why I would have to engage the clutch to try to start it, maybe the clutch needs adjusted, but right now I am trying to figure out why it wont start. Thanks.

It still doesn't make sense - you say you have to pull the clutch to start it. But it won't start. You say you get spark both when the clutch is pulled and when it's in neutral. You won't get spark unless it's turning, so it's turning. How do you know you have to pull the clutch to start it if it won't start? What's happening there exactly?

Back