Billet Carburator Connector

Roll

XS650 Newby
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1981Yamaha XS650 Special. The bike came with a bunch of extra parts and included a set of Richard Getman billet carb connectors. I would like to install them and would like to know what connector/gaskets/hoses are required. The bike has the stock carbs. Will these even work with the stock carbs? The connector OD is 46.6mm, the ID is 33.8mm and the height is 25mm.

Most of the alloy carb connectors are for aftermarket carbs. The VM34 and VM36 round slide Mikuni's.
If your stock carbs are working ok I would run them.
If you want 650central has the carbs you need. You need to call and talk to MMM and he will prejet the carbs to be very close to what they need to be with a minimum of tuning.
Leo

I agree with Leo, contact Gary at Hoos Racing as well. I got mine from him, he's a great guy.

I really don't need to replace the carbs. The originals run very well for me. If I were to use these billet connectors, is there some critical dimensions that need to be maintained from the stock connectors? Possibly the overall height and internal diameter?

If you want to run those billet parts you will need to replace your stock carbs.
The stock carbs will not work with those alloy parts. The stock BS34 carbs have an outside diameter of 42mm where they hook into the stock carb holders.
There is no adapter to make them fit the billet parts.
Also they are longer, this would move the carbs too far back, hitting the frame. This would also make using the stock air boxes impossible. You would need to remove it and run a pod type filter. This will lead to rejetting your stock carbs.
Leo

Thanks, I understand. Too bad because they are very cool. I have no idea how old the original connectors are. How often do you recommend they be replaced?

Thanks, I understand. Too bad because they are very cool. I have no idea how old the original connectors are. How often do you recommend they be replaced?

It's not really a matter of time but condition. If they aren't brittle or cracked the should be fine. If they are, you should replace them or you'll get air leaks.

Back