Billet Oil Cooler

I found this billet oil cooler for $35.oo and thought others might be interested. It's designed for 150cc pit bikes but I think it could be made to work on most bikes. http://shop.pitsterpro.com/billetcooler.aspx

Thoughts?

I've been looking at oil coolers recently and have been looking at some of the billet options that are out there. I'm putting my cooler up in the front of the fairing where the light would normally be sited on my cafe build. Space is at a bit of a premium so I've been looking at the type in your link and thinking about maybe running two in tandem one in each headlight apeture. I haven't got around to researching how effective billet coolers are so I'd also be grateful for any real world experience of billet coolers anyone can offer.

It looks small to me, and all of the engines listed in the ad are small. For another $30 you could buy the MikesXS cooler, which I think is a more appropriate size for a 650.

Space is at a bit of a premium so I've been looking at the type in your link and thinking about maybe running two in tandem one in each headlight apeture. I haven't got around to researching how effective billet coolers are so I'd also be grateful for any real world experience of billet coolers anyone can offer.

I was also thinking tandem small coolers might allow more options in mounting.

Color me silly but I don't see the point of a "billet" oil cooler.......
Isn't the idea to get air flow through the cooler?
It is HARD to find a way to mount a cooler that doesn't just dump heat back towards the engine.

Color me silly but I don't see the point of a "billet" oil cooler.......
Isn't the idea to get air flow through the cooler?
It is HARD to find a way to mount a cooler that doesn't just dump heat back towards the engine.

I also wonder about air flow through the cooler but several have expressed positive results with this cooler: http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-6504.html

Small tandem coolers, billet or not, could be mounted in places other than directly in front of the engine. Like on a crash bar or inside a fairing with ducts directing air onto the coolers.

Small tandem coolers, billet or not, could be mounted in places other than directly in front of the engine. Like on a crash bar or inside a fairing with ducts directing air onto the coolers.

That's my current plan, two small or one long and "squat" cooler right in the nose of the fairing with cooling slots of a corresponding size where the existing headlight appetures are (will be filling them in and recutting new slots to suit whatever cooler(s) I end up buying) - that's about as far forward of the engine and in cool oncoming air as I can get the cooler. Weight shouldn't be an issue as a small cooler full of oil doesn't weigh very much and there's no headlights or other such stuff hanging off of the fairing bracket now. If neccessary beefing the existing bracket up won't be a problem.

007-1.jpg

That's my current plan, two small or one long and "squat" cooler right in the nose of the fairing with cooling slots of a corresponding size where the existing headlight appetures are (will be filling them in and recutting new slots to suit whatever cooler(s) I end up buying) - that's about as far forward of the engine and in cool oncoming air as I can get the cooler. Weight shouldn't be an issue as a small cooler full of oil doesn't weigh very much and there's no headlights or other such stuff hanging off of the fairing bracket now. If neccessary beefing the existing bracket up won't be a problem.

007-1.jpg

Where will you put your headlight? Looks great, by the way.

No headlight, we have this wonderful thing called a "daytime MOT" (I think you guys call it an inspection?) which is a version of the annual inspection/safety check that does not require the fitment of a headlight or tail light as long as the bike is only used in daylight.

This thing is a bit of a toy and is unlikely to ever need to be out in the dark

No headlight, we have this wonderful thing called a "daytime MOT" (I think you guys call it an inspection?) which is a version of the annual inspection/safety check that does not require the fitment of a headlight or tail light as long as the bike is only used in daylight.

This thing is a bit of a toy and is unlikely to ever need to be out in the dark

I sometimes forget that not everywhere are headlights-on-in-the-daytime required by law.

That bike lift looks cool, do you like it? Who makes it???

It works really well configured as it is in the photo, I've also got a set of adaptors that allow it to lift the bike from the footpeg mounts and another set of adaptors for lifting sports bikes. With the lift on the piece of carpet, it's actually really easy to drag the lift and bike around the garage if it needs to put to one side. The bike is currently clamped to the lift via some rubber wrapped clamps that fit on the lower frame rails and doesn't move around even when its being dragged across the garage.

It's made by a UK firm called Eazy Rizer, the video on the web page shows how a drill can be used to raise the lift when a bikes on it.

One of the best bits of kit I've bought.

http://www.on-bike.com/products_original_red.htm

The thing I wonder about would be oil flow. How large is the lines going too it. If to small it might not allow enough oil flow.
As far as cooling It might help some. The cooloer I use Is more than enough. It's about the size of Mike's and drops oil temps around 50 degrees. A 15 to 20 degree drop would be better.
Leo

wow, this thing is gonna look super slick when it's done, those fairing are great. they look more 'modern'. did you make them?

The fairing is a pattern version of the Ducati 748/916 upper fairing and the seat is an item that was originally made for early Kawasaki Z series racers/cafe racer builders that wanted to retain the classic Z ducktail look.

The fairing will look a bit different to that when it's finished - I'm almost certainly going to cut the lower "air duct" bits and corresponding bits along the sides off to lose some of the visual bulk in the lower bits of the fairing.

Last edited:
I would look at that as more of a filter housing, that happens to have some fins, rather than an out and out oil cooler. I would not expect much cooling, but buy it just as a filter

Measurements of oil temperature have shown that that cooler doesn't cool anything. It makes me hold Heiden Tuning of Holland in very low regard.

Thanks for letting us know.

I've actually got an automotive oil cooler I pondered using but at more than 6"x12" I'm not sure I can find a place to mount it. Guess I'll install it on my pick-up.

I'm not sure where xjwmx found that guote, but I do agree that from the results I read about, it doesn't cool much, A few degrees at best.
The Heiden filter/cooler kit that Mike's sells that is.
Mike's sells an oil cooler radiator, item #70-0750 is very effective.
I have one that's about the same size and in my testings it dropped the oil temps 40-50 degrees.
A larger oil cooler will be to much. Mine is more than I need untill the outdoor temps reach 80-85 degrees.
A 6x12 is three times as much as Mike's 4x6.
Yes Bill, on the pick up, that would be good as engine or automatic transmission cooler.
If you cruise the car salvage yards and found a power steering cooler it might work if the lines are at least 3/8 inch.
I got mine off a motorcycle, an 82 Seca 650 turbo. If you cruise the bike salvage yards you might find one that you can use. Don't even have to be a Yamaha
Leo

Back