Billet Rear Sets. ALL XS650's

durgam_K

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well I have finished the design, and already sold a couple sets to members here on the board. I think they came out great. These will mount to stock foot peg studs from 70-83's. in 74 Yamaha made some frame changes, and moved the studs apart by 5mm. I have separate mounts for 70-73's. and 74-83.
My package will include

2 levers
2 mounts, side specific
2 foot pegs
2 toe pegs
2 pieces of 5/16 stainless threaded rod 12 inches long.
4 rod ends
4 mount spacers
4 moounting locknuts
bolts to mount all pegs to levers

these will require you to heat and bend your stock shifter, similar to TC bros unit. And also bend the brake pedal.
This will work for drum brake and rear disk models.

Price is $175 shipped to lower 48, and $210 usd to International buyers.

heres some pics. I will get more in the near future.
any questions please ask.
XSrearsets-1.jpg

XSrearsets.jpg

Rearsets-2.jpg

Yes and Yes.:D

I have made some pretty nice billet mids, with knurled pegs, aluminum levers, and steel mounts. I sold a few sets of them last year when my father-in -law and I, finished his Bobber project. Heres some pics. Im 5'11, and its real comfortable foot position. The seat is a little high, for my taste, but..... its not my Bike.:thumbsup:

And the Mids, I just designed up a mid control mount, that will use my same levers, as in the rear sets. I will get a pic of the 3D model up tomorrow, when i get back to the shop.

forward20controls202.jpg

KrisXS.jpg

Bobberdone_1.jpg

NICE WORK!! can you post up some pics with the linkage installed?(for the rearsets)

I will be doing that on wednesday. Im going to install them on another 650 that my In law has. A nice 76 model. Ill post up some pics that night. My bike build is in many pieces, right now, with the motor on the bench, getting a new top end.

I just did find this week, a great shift arm, so that the stock unit doesnt need to be heated, and bent to work with the rears sets. They are alimminum, and are offset, to clear the side engine cover. I have bought a couple of them used off ebay, and will include them for another $15 if wanted.

Heres the 3D model i mentioned. I may need to make a special lever for this mount, but thats no big deal. Ill try to get a set made up before tomorrow night, so i can mount these as well as my rear sets.

XSMidmount3D.jpg

I mounted up a set of rear sets tonight. They fit really well, and the new/used shift arms I came across worked like a dream!!!

I will be posting some pictures tomorrow evening.

I didnt get a chance to make a mid control mount, as of yet, I May get a chance to do it tomorrow at the shop. But after looking closer at the my 76 guinea pig, it may be a little more difficult than i first thought.

Ill keep you posted!!!!!

All mounted up:thumbsup::thumbsup:

all went as planned. Mounts slid right over the studs, and the spacers....spaced.:shrug:
the new shift arm I found works perfect. ANd there actaully comfortable. Way more comfy than my GT550 design. Those were hinderd by placement options. Any ways, heres some new pics. As i said before, mid working on a mid control mount next.

resrsetleft-2.jpg

rearsetleft.jpg

I was told that i couldnt cut the brake pedal to use, cuz this is still a daily rider for him, and he is way too old for rear sets.

rearsetsright.jpg

Can you still use the kick starter with these rear sets?

You know i never checked clearance. I will tonight!!!

I do sell the forwards. those are $185 shipped lower 48. I have the levers made, but will need to make pegs and mounts. They come in raw form. 3/8 thick steel plate, and 1" diameter DOM for Mounting.

Thanks guys.

I made some MID control mounts today.:thumbsup: I will be making some pegs this week, for test fitment. Hopefully i took care of the clearance issues. The backside will be counterbored so the bolt head sits almost flush, to clear the swingarm pivot. Als, they can be mounted 2 ways, depending on rider prefferance.

Midmount_1.jpg

Midmount_2.jpg

ALL....
After investigating, the kick starter is not do-able with these rear sets. I will figured this from the start, but did not varify it the first time i installed them. I was told that an SR500 kicker will clear. It is shorter, but long enough to get the leverage needed. If the kick starter was about an inch shorter, it would work on mine. The last 1/2 inch of kicker, hits the outer inch of peg. Bummer.
So, I will be designing some new pegs, that are going to be folding. Now, I can buy the typical cast metal wedge type, and make them work with my design. But thats not my style, and those dont belong on a kick ass cafe racer. rat bikes, sure. But not for me. So, give me a week or so to get e prototype in order. If anyone isnt interested in using there kick starter anyways, plent of those will be available in the next 36 hours.

As far as the shift and brake levers go. I dont have the tooling to make the splines needed to make these components properly. The next best option is to use your existing pieces, and drill and tap, or just drill thru them to hold the other end of the linkage.
However, i did find that the Yamaha R6 shift arm is a direct fit for the splines, and has the offset needed to clear the side covers. thats one fix. I have a couple of these that i can include for an additional $12 with the purchase of sets. WHEW!!!!
THANKS FRO THE REPLIES, AND QUESTIONS

So do the ones that TC BROTHERS sell but heres the fix.
Cut off the bottom of a kick start lever and weld it to the other one and it moves the kick start out just enough to miss. I just did one on a cafe bike. You would have to move the pegs up or back and i think the ride would be off if you went back. But i would be interesed in you prices and mid control mounts
Thanks DADDYG

Back