Birds in my carb? What's this chirping sound? With video...

Nubster

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been slowly working on getting my 79' XS650 in good running shape. I recently rebuilt the carbs using the kit from Mike's. Now there is a loud chirping sound and it sounds like it's coming from the left carb, but I'm not 100%. Any idea what it is?

I have a video uploading now that I'll post as well, but in the mean time, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate some input. Thanks!

Attachments

• 48-5021.jpg
    48-5021.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 185
Birds are still chirpin'.

Another possible cause could be an inlet manifold leak. To check with the bike running at idle spray some penetrating oil at the head- carb holder joint. If the idle speed increases you have a leak.

I sprayed carb cleaner all over the carbs and nothing seemed to change the idle except when I got too close to the filters. I'll give it another go though tomorrow and see if I just didn't notice a change.

It might have sounded like birds cherping to some. It was more like squeek Check the points and advance. I have no knowledge of the carbs cherping. So I can't comment on that. Just another place to look lack of lube? 5twins will be here shortly to help he likes to prove me wrong :D Your valves sounded noisy. If you run those loud pipes for about 20,000 miles you will be as deaf as I. Had my ear resting on the laptop. Hope you find it soon. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
choke plate screws are probably loose. thats where my birds lived.
Chirping is the classic sign of a loose choke plate. Check both plates. Easy to verify that this is the source with a mechanic's stethoscope. The three screws on each plate have to be VERY tight. Some people have to resort to doubling the choke plate gaskets or using a non-hardening sealant sparingly. I am 99.9% sure this is your problem.

I'll check that as well. I did remove the choke plates this time, where before, the first time I tore down the carbs and cleaned them, I did not. I figure even if it's not the seals I ordered, can't hurt to have them on hand. I needed to order a new oil filter anyways. But thanks for the info, I'll check that closely in just a bit.

If you're getting the shaft seals from Mike's, you may not want to use them. Reports are their current batch is junk.

If you're getting the shaft seals from Mike's, you may not want to use them. Reports are their current batch is junk.

I am and that sucks to hear. I'll see if my order has shipped and if not, I'll cancel. Thanks for the heads up.

I went out and really torqued down on the choke plate screws. Seems to have done the trick. Those screws are pretty soft though so I'll probably change them out with some hardened hex heads. I already did most of the rest of the carbs with them.

So thanks to griinder who initially suggested the choke plate even though I forgot to check it until DogBunny suggested it again. Thanks to both of you...and everyone else that helped too....

newcastle-brown-ale-435899041.jpg

yeah, to all those guys checking this thread i had the same problem. Damn chipmunk eluded me until i torqued the choke plate screws.

instant fix...:thumbsup:

Back