Birds nest of wires, a little help please!

Johnny Glass

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planing on getting my bike rewired and running today, but ran into a problem. I had a 72 cl350 that I sort of rewired for cafe' bars to work, but my 82 xs has a lot more going on wire wise. I have a clymer manual but it doesn't seem any of the diagrams match up very well. It's probably me though? I just need to know what wires i can connect together and whats the least amount of switches I need? I don't need a high and low beam switch, would like to keep the turn signals, a kill switch and starter button. I suppose that's all I really need?

mine34.jpg

mine35.jpg

Best to look in the "tech" section and study the wiring diagrams in the electrical threads. Who knows what the PO messed up or what mods where done. You have to learn all the systems and where they connect.

i recently wired my first bike/ build..... it's best to start from scratch (throw away the stock wiring harness).... tc bros sells a simplified harness.... from there run all of your accesories through the ignition switch.

"littlebill31" is right though, there are many different diagrams in the tech section.

Honestly, that harness from TC Bros can be made from your exsiting harness for $5.00. You already have the wires and connectors, just shorten them. A complete, shock harness from Mikes XS costs $87.00, which will give you enough wires for many uses. And they are color matched. I made 3 "chopper" harness' out of one stock unit.
This is the main one I like to use. Pretty basic.
650wiringchoppervh0.jpg

Here's the link to the wiring diagrams http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

Back