Blade Fuses

Amazing how conversation migrates. From dodgy fuses to the dodgy mature of democracy.
It's the nature of the beast isn't it. Truth is, I'm catching up on posts rather than doing what I need to do. I open the thread and see the last post or two and respond. What I/we should do is go back to the thread title and see what it was about in the first place. What we end up with here is a virtual barroom that carries on a lot like real conversation. It sucks me right in. I'm getting up to do what needs doing. Today is Robin's birthday. Robin is my wife. I'll focus on that for the remainder of the day. I enjoy the company of y'all, but I gotta go! Peace.

It's the nature of the beast isn't it. Truth is, I'm catching up on posts rather than doing what I need to do. I open the thread and see the last post or two and respond. What I/we should do is go back to the thread title and see what it was about in the first place. What we end up with here is a virtual barroom that carries on a lot like real conversation. It sucks me right in. I'm getting up to do what needs doing. Today is Robin's birthday. Robin is my wife. I'll focus on that for the remainder of the day. I enjoy the company of y'all, but I gotta go! Peace.

I read it as an observation Raymond, not a criticism.
Jetmechmarty, I was just thinking about exactly your thoughts. I get sucked in by reading these, because it's interesting, but I've go lots of things to do with my valuable Saturday morning, motorcycle maintenance, for example. I think this forum is a great place because its pretty rare that people are heavily critical or mean towards others.
Have a great day Gents, and thanks again for the heads up on the fuses! I'll be posting something on my thread soon re electrical problem I had a while ago, which may or may not involve a fuse.

I made my UK choice and went for MTA fuses. MTA is an Italian company in the OEM business:
View attachment 247530
Their product has the appearance of quality:
View attachment 247531
The actual fuse is seen in the heart shaped area and is exposed to the environment. This is called an ATO fuse: O for Open. When the fuse component is sealed from the environment it is called an ATC fuse: C for closed - better suited to more exposed enviroments.

The fuse and pins are made from a single piece of tin plated zinc, but surprisingly the actual fuse zone is machined to a specified thickness:
View attachment 247532

The machine marks are clearly visible whereas with some of my old cheap fuses the fuse area seems to be either pressed thin or remains the same thickness as the pins:
View attachment 247533

What I have seen gives me confidence in MTA fuses so I will use them here in the UK.

MTA fuses cost approximately £4 for 10 fuses and are readily available here.
I found them here...
https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/standard-blade-fuses.html
Problem is Brex / wrecks it, by the time postage and duty are lumped on, they double in price.
If I buy 50 - 100 at once, the postage is more reasonable, but duty is the killer.
I could also look at German / Dutch / Polish sources for genuine Bosch fuses, I suppose.
Before Wrecksit, many bargains of real, quality stuff could be found and cheaply shipped, but no more, which is why I'll likely buy the Littelfuse 80-box.

Grimly,

Try the following Ebay link. The seller is the same as I used in UK. The add says free international postage??

Ebay Ireland
The more I buy, the postage (isn't free, that's an ebay glitch) remains reasonable, but the import charges are always 25%-ish.
Easier just to buy via Amazon, where postage and import charges amount to eight bucks at most.
Amazon has the bargaining power I don't.

The more I buy, the postage (isn't free, that's an ebay glitch) remains reasonable, but the import charges are always 25%-ish.
Easier just to buy via Amazon, where postage and import charges amount to eight bucks at most.
Amazon has the bargaining power I don't.
Otoh, 12Volt Planet has just listed this kit - 90 pieces of MTA for €19. I'll have to see what the extra damage will be.
https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/90-piece-mta-standard-blade-fuse-assortment-kit.html

<edit>
It actually comes in half a quid cheaper and ten extra fuses for that.
Result!

Last edited:
PICT0755.JPG

Just delivered, branded Italian MTA fuses.

Thank you, @Paul Sutton for bringing up this topic - was unaware before of the issues with cheapo fuses which don't blow at the rated current.

Bought ten each 10A and 20A, cost less than 40 pence per fuse including delivery. Well worth it for the peace of mind when I replace the current fuses (sorry) of unknown provenance on the XS650 and RE Bullet.

Note to self: must remember to carry spares on the bikes for emergency use . . .

When a skid-steer harness wire began shorting in the middle of a tree removal project, the ground was littered with 20 amp fuses. I bought a bunch of fuses from Ali express. 100 each 15-20-30 amp, just now took a pic.
fuses.jpg
The variation in the fuse-able link, amp ratings clearly seen They are working fine / as intended.
I finally did find that short, a too tight factory wire bundle zip tie eventually crushed down the wire insulation shorting it to a bracket. A lesson there....
Friday; ran around locally for some fuse blocks, radio shack still had old stock glass fuse holders
radio shack fuse block.jpg
Makes an easy peasy XS650 replacement, glad I grabbed it when I looked under Allison's recent acquisition; Old Paint.
Factory fuse box is still hanging in there.
KIMG5878.JPG
Meanwhile the Beemer battery breathed it's last and the NOCO lithium battery was going in,
KIMG5864.JPG
I decided some clean up was in order.
From a local auto store;
KIMG5867.JPG
not what I really wanted. But it was a "let's ride day" so got R done. Drilled the tabs, ran some fine 12 gauge wire through and soldered.
fuse block.jpg
Three "extra circuits and room for 2 more.
I ordered some better fuse blocks off flea bay. I like the intergrated ground distribution block on these. Also LED this fuse out bulbs
1708880482878.png

1708880527560.png

and will visit this situation (at least) one more time.

Madness is due for a clean up also.
Lucky I guess, this has held up for 4 or 5 years.
KIMG5872.JPG
Peace and out.

Last edited:
When a harness wire began shorting in the middle of a tree removal project, ground was littered with 20 amp fuses. I bought a bunch of fuses from Ali express. 100 each 15-20-30 amp, just now took a pic.
View attachment 262493
The variation in the fuse-able link, amp ratings clearly seen They are working fine / as intended.
(I finally did find that short, a too tight wire tie eventually crushed through the wire insulation shorting it to a bracket) A lesson there....
My local radio shack still had some old stock glass fuse holders
View attachment 262495
easy peasy XS650 replacement, and glad I grabbed it when I looked under Allison's recent acquisition; Old Paint.
View attachment 262494
Meanwhile the when Beemer battery breathed it's last and the NOCO lithium battery was going in,
View attachment 262496
I decided some clean up was in order.
From a local auto store
View attachment 262498
not what I really wanted. But it was a let's ride day so "got R done". Drilled the tabs, ran some fine 12 gauge wire through and soldered.
I ordered some better fuse blocks off flea bay
View attachment 262501
View attachment 262502

and will visit this situation (at least) one more time.
View attachment 262499
Three "extra circuits and room for 2 more.
Madness is due for a clean up also.
Lucky I guess, this has held up for 4 or 5 years.
View attachment 262500
Peace and out.
How do you manage the upkeep of such a large fleet of vehicles? I’m impressed. Nice work cleaning up the fuse panels!

Back