Blade Fuses

The no name came from an electrical component vendor back when I was still working. That’s all we put in our equipment. Scratching my head whether I should toss these.
No more than fuses cost, that's a no brainier

Damn, time to search the bags of fuses I bought to see if they're crap or good.
I've always fused with the idea of twice the current will blow them - and that's fairly normal.
Of course, quick-blow and slow-blow are designs to be selected, and there's specs for them.
In the event of a short to earth the fault current will blow them quick enough, but mention of the cheap ones withstanding relatively huge currents is a bit worrying. Not had this problem so far, but I suppose it's only a matter of time, once the cheap fuses get mixed in.

This is inappropriate, but to heck with it.
1689970447522.jpeg

nate5.jpg

While we're on the subject, I haven't used fuse blocks in years. I use the mini in-line fuse holders, and I put them where it makes sense in the wiring scheme.

nate6.jpg

More pics on this type of lay-out here:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/bike-wiring.26824/

shopping (1).png

If you really want cheap and simple, just buy blade fuses...

shopping.png
shopping (3).png

... female spade lugs will fit them perfectly, and you have a DIY in-line fuse holder.
And yes, I too am going to ditch my Chinese fuses and buy real ones...

In the UK the Bussmann fuses are very rare. The Littelfuse brand exists but is generally a bulk buy on Ebay - Probably worth buying then dividing into smaller lots to resell. MTA seems the easiest option on Ebay UK and they are a real fuse manufacturer with specifications on their website.
I've earmarked an 80-box of Littelfuse assorted ATO fuses on amazon.com.
Amazingly, they can be to my door from the US cheaper than getting decent ones from UK or EU.
I had a look at AES and Vehicle Wiring Products, but they only have no-name fuse kits, so l left them alone.

At a bare minimum, a product should do what it is supposed to do. A cheap product may not last as long, not be easy to use, break easily, but should still perform its basic function.
A 5 amp fuse that woun't blow at 20 amp is flat out fraud. Is there no law for this?
Yeah, there's also laws against copyright infringement, which is constantly being violated by our giant "friend" in the far east. No one in power seems to care.

Yeah, there's also laws against copyright infringement, which is constantly being violated by our giant "friend" in the far east. No one in power seems to care.
What would you have those in power do? Pretty sure that every Congress and Administration since Nixon "cared". Question is, how do you stop it?

What would you have those in power do? Pretty sure that every Congress and Administration since Nixon "cared". Question is, how do you stop it?
And that my friend, is the million dollar question. I blame a lot of it on greedy corporations, who I believe, line the pockets of gov't officials, both parties, and ultimately, the American consumer. The copyright/intellectual property laws should be enforced.

And that my friend, is the million dollar question. I blame a lot of it on greedy corporations, who I believe, line the pockets of gov't officials, both parties, and ultimately, the American consumer. The copyright/intellectual property laws should be enforced.
I suspect there is little in way of "documentation" required at the shipping port. We have the luxury of being plugged into a forum with members who have a wide array of experience and knowledge. Pass these tidbits on to your children.

Blame the Chinese. That solves the problem. It's their fault for taking advantage of our poor enforcement of regulations.....................Ah hang on.

A minute ago, cant remember if it was a NZ thing or Australia, but there was some product coming into the country from China that was being sold but wasn't the real deal, that could be bought local made. Now all sorts of accusations and blame was thrown at the Chinese for poor quality and manufacturing a product that didn't have the ingredients in the product to effectively do what it was supposed to do.

All fingers led back to the Chinese, especially when the company importing the product was asked about it or asked whose responsibility it was to enure the product adhered to the Aus/NZ standard when put on the shelf for sale.

A manufacture who manufactured the product in Aus/NZ would have to comply with the standard set by the regulatory body. If marketed and sold without some ingredients advertised, there are hefty fines for false and misleading advertising....................But........the same manufacturer could import, advertise and sell the same product and bypass responsibility because they bought it from overseas where quality control is not up to the Aus/NZ standard, or that standard enforced

So then who became responsible. The manufacturer from overseas, the importer/wholesaler, (who would be responsible if they manufactured in their home country), or the regulatory body who oversee the rule/law.

Another question...............I have, on a regular basis, seen people on here point out and encourage others to buy, cheap products with no postage, (or so ridiculously low it is token at best), and they are so proud of themselves for saving a few $'s, they want every one else to share in their good fortune...................Where do these great bargains come from...................AHHHHH, yep Chinese products that may or may not be contravening copyright laws..............

so whose responsibility is it, when it comes to a buyer who is tempted to save a couple of $'s by the bargain of the year, The manufacture, importer or the buyer who knows it is to cheep and it is probably illegal...................Yep blame the Chinese, looking out, instead we should be looking in at who is the real problem.

Admittedly it was the con of cheap products from business, who could make more by making and buying products from a third wold country where wages were low.

Last edited:
There's blame to go around... no doubt.
When you're a rich man... or at least well off, it's easy... you buy the quality part made in America, or N Z, Germany... wherever.
When you're a poor man... who skips a lunch at work here and there to save up for the "farkle" he wants, social and legal issues seem a little less important don't they?

You need to be careful of counterfeits on Amazon too. Anyone can become a seller and say they have a certain product to sell, when they actually have a counterfeit, and Amazon doesn't really check. It all get listed under the same product listing with multiple sellers. I received a counterfeit phone charger and 3m VHB tape through Amazon. This could happen with fuses too, but I'm not sure if anyone is counterfeiting fuses.

Blame the Chinese. That solves the problem. It's their fault for taking advantage of our poor enforcement of regulations.....................Ah hang on.

A minute ago, cant remember if it was a NZ thing or Australia, but there was some product coming into the country from China that was being sold but wasn't the real deal, that could be bought local made. Now all sorts of accusations and blame was thrown at the Chinese for poor quality and manufacturing a product that didn't have the ingredients in the product to effectively do what it was supposed to do.

All fingers led back to the Chinese, especially when the company importing the product was asked about it or asked whose responsibility it was to enure the product adhered to the Aus/NZ standard when put on the shelf for sale.

A manufacture who manufactured the product in Aus/NZ would have to comply with the standard set by the regulatory body. If marketed and sold without some ingredients advertised, there are hefty fines for false and misleading advertising....................But........the same manufacturer could import, advertise and sell the same product and bypass responsibility because they bought it from overseas where quality control is not up to the Aus/NZ standard, or that standard enforced

So then who became responsible. The manufacturer from overseas, the importer/wholesaler, (who would be responsible if they manufactured in their home country), or the regulatory body who oversee the rule/law.

Another question...............I have, on a regular basis, seen people on here point out and encourage others to buy, cheap products with no postage, (or so ridiculously low it is token at best), and they are so proud of themselves for saving a few $'s, they want every one else to share in their good fortune...................Where do these great bargains come from...................AHHHHH, yep Chinese products that may or may not be contravening copyright laws..............

so whose responsibility is it, when it comes to a buyer who is tempted to save a couple of $'s by the bargain of the year, The manufacture, importer or the buyer who knows it is to cheep and it is probably illegal...................Yep blame the Chinese, looking out, instead we should be looking in at who is the real problem.

Admittedly it was the con of cheap products from business, who could make more by making and buying products from a third wold country where wages were low.
I posted a pic of my tracker in front of "Trilling True Value" hardware in Just Ride or New to Me threads. I am not going to find some stuff I need locally bit "Trilling Hardware" sold me a ton of bits and fasteners for the Red Bike annd the earlier tracker. I think we all need to consider what our own community will look like if our local retailers go tits up. Many have a "Walmart is the only place in 30 miles" situation and and we can't fault that.

I made my UK choice and went for MTA fuses. MTA is an Italian company in the OEM business:
MTM.jpg
Their product has the appearance of quality:
F1.JPG
The actual fuse is seen in the heart shaped area and is exposed to the environment. This is called an ATO fuse: O for Open. When the fuse component is sealed from the environment it is called an ATC fuse: C for closed - better suited to more exposed enviroments.

The fuse and pins are made from a single piece of tin plated zinc, but surprisingly the actual fuse zone is machined to a specified thickness:
F2.JPG

The machine marks are clearly visible whereas with some of my old cheap fuses the fuse area seems to be either pressed thin or remains the same thickness as the pins:
F3.JPG

What I have seen gives me confidence in MTA fuses so I will use them here in the UK.

MTA fuses cost approximately £4 for 10 fuses and are readily available here.

Last edited:
You need to be careful of counterfeits on Amazon too. Anyone can become a seller and say they have a certain product to sell, when they actually have a counterfeit, and Amazon doesn't really check. It all get listed under the same product listing with multiple sellers. I received a counterfeit phone charger and 3m VHB tape through Amazon. This could happen with fuses too, but I'm not sure if anyone is counterfeiting fuses.
I have a friend who is a 25+ year G.M. Tech who has seen "Genuine" A/C Delco knock sensors, bought off Amazon in a A/C Delco box that were supplied by the customer because "they were 1/3 the price of that from the dealer". They turned out to be poorly functioning counterfeit junk. Customer procured a second set from Amazon, same result. Be wary of a deal that seems too good to be true. I also have seen a NAPA wheel cylinder that did not have the hole drilled all the way through for the bleeder. It wasn't discovered until the assembly had been put back together. Made in China.

I posted a pic of my tracker in front of "Trilling True Value" hardware in Just Ride or New to Me threads. I am not going to find some stuff I need locally bit "Trilling Hardware" sold me a ton of bits and fasteners for the Red Bike annd the earlier tracker. I think we all need to consider what our own community will look like if our local retailers go tits up. Many have a "Walmart is the only place in 30 miles" situation and and we can't fault that.
Could not agree more. I use a little mom n' pop place, Folkston Auto Supply. There's an old saying about buying local, "If I spend a dollar with a local company, there's a good chance I'll see that dollar again".

It is off topic but it is there where democracy has lost it ..
We have importers using third world Sweat Shops and Trafficking for Building industry here

And every five years when a reporter goes to the Sweat shop or Building site with -- appalling work conditions
The higher ups point to a contract they have with a subcontractor who have another subcontractor and so on
Lying
Comical at times when the reporter cannot find anyone at the building sites knowing any language Not even Polish where the worker came from Cash money in hand to workers... Biker gangs running HR department.
No comment talk to Woicheck the man with the Heavy Golden Chains and the Pimp Style large Mercedes Benz
And the flat nose from some sort of Sport . Career Criminal. Of course no one dares to talk.
Getting a flat nose themselves. It is to obvious ...

Don't look at me. A spokeswoman with a tear in her eye. Fancy designer clothes lipstick and whatnot. .
looking sweet Barbie style
The same Bulls***t over and over again The press here sometimes get its right and do their job
Not often but it happens

What I would like to see is the Chairman of he Board being booted around on he Asphalt like the Rodney King Beating in Los Angeles --- Once in my Life say ONCE. is in the law here
factually impartial ... Kick that Swine around

Having said that . Someone getting a job ..can put food on the table its OK And myself is also looking to keep costs down .

But Democracy has been replaced by Hypocrisy

When it comes to the fuses ---not being the devils Attorney .I Vaguely remember the power supply side .
Some power supplies are regulated and others are not. They supply delivers what the circuit demands
On a vehicle it can be different than in a bench test.But still no need to buy Cheap fuses.
As cheap parachutes or Cheap Lawyers

There's blame to go around... no doubt.
When you're a rich man... or at least well off, it's easy... you buy the quality part made in America, or N Z, Germany... wherever.
When you're a poor man... who skips a lunch at work here and there to save up for the "farkle" he wants, social and legal issues seem a little less important don't they?
Yes! I like to buy my food from local ranchers and farmers. I'd like to eat that way 100% of the time. Ribeye direct from the farm just down the road is $30 per pound and from Costco, it's $13 per pound just as an example. Paying the premium while trying to get to retirement becomes counterproductive. That's just me. Most people are just spending beyond their means, feeding the machine. Then blame the gov't and corporations. We have the power to vote with our wallet. What we think we're doing at the polling place is usually the opposite of what we're doing every day with our wallet.

Yes! I like to buy my food from local ranchers and farmers. I'd like to eat that way 100% of the time. Ribeye direct from the farm just down the road is $30 per pound and from Costco, it's $13 per pound just as an example. Paying the premium while trying to get to retirement becomes counterproductive. That's just me. Most people are just spending beyond their means, feeding the machine. Then blame the gov't and corporations. We have the power to vote with our wallet. What we think we're doing at the polling place is usually the opposite of what we're doing every day with our wallet.
Amazing how conversation migrates. From dodgy fuses to the dodgy nature of democracy.

Last edited:
Back