Bleading the front brake !

Bob Kelly III

Ranch Kid from way back,.... that got Old !
Reaction score
Hi All !
I'm new to the forum tonight and was wondering if there is a trick to bleeding the brake on my '92
Heritage special 650cc It pumped up before I started this but now I can't get it to pump up to save my life ! the brake calaper below Is froze after 10 years of setting and there was condensation in the brake fluid... I can't seam to get the master cylinder apart to clean it up but discovered that a rebuild kit comes with a cer-clip that I evedently didn't see in there ! LOL
it pumps pressure if I use my finger as the check valve but it won't do it on it's own....
and is there any way to tell what Size of brake master cylinder to order from Mikes XS ?
they have parts up to '84 but nothing for a 1992 which I find as ODD !
i am guessing that its the same as an '84 but ..... i have no way to confirm that !
thanks for the help I really do appreaciate it !
Bob.........

Last edited:
There is not a check valve on the mc. When the lines are empty the fluid drains down away from the mc and air goes up to the mc. So air is just going back and forth. The easiest way is to remove the caliper and hold above the mc so air is expelled from the bleeder. Once the air is mostly out of the system reinstall the caliper and bleed as normal.

Tom

You can't find anything for a '92 because they didn't make a '92. Production stopped in '84
I was confused about the 1992 myself!

I too have a 1982 XS650 Heritage and just two days ago decided it was time to see if I could get some brake action on the front wheel. This one has been parked for at least 17 years while I have owned it. No idea how long it set in the shed I pulled it out of back then.

That "cer-clip" aka "snap ring" is a bit of a problem as it is recessed far down in a small bore. I had to modify the tips on one of my snap ring pliers to get it out, and I have enough sets of those to fill a good sized shoe box!

Once that clip is out the rest is a pretty straight forward of cleaning everything up. The protective boot around the plunger on mine is torn. But for now should be ok to do some test runs to prove out other things on the bike. If or when I do decide to licence this bike for road duty I will get a kit from MMM and also do the caliper which actually was in surprising condition with only minor pit in the piston.

Anyhow back to the subject of bleeding. What worked for me on this one was a method I have used for years on cars and pickups.

First make sure the holes in the bleeder screw are open and you can spray brake clean through them, otherwise you will never get air out of the system.

Next take a container and put an inch or so clean brake fluid in it. Support the container near the caliper.

Then take a section of clear tubing that fits snug over the end of the bleeder screw. With it connected to the bleeder screw position the other end in the container you put the brake fluid in and position so the end of the hose stays under the brake fluid, might need to use a clip of some kind to make sure it stays under the top of the fluid. Open bleeder screw maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Now with master cylinder full of brake fluid pump the brake lever and watch for air coming out of the tube. While pumping keep and eye on the fluid level in the master and top off as needed.

When air bubbles stop coming out of the end of the tube close the bleeder and you should have at least some pressure at the lever. Note, if you had the caliper off and or apart you will have to pump the brake a few times till the piston in the caliper moves out to clamp the disk. Keep track of fluid level as this is happening.

One thing that seems to help if the brake seems a bit "spongy" is to use a rubber strap to hold brake applied over night. Not 100% sure what this does but it is a common trick to do after brake work.

You can't find anything for a '92 because they didn't make a '92. Production stopped in '84

Lol, ya littlebill, hence my edit. Didn't address it well in my reply so wondered if he's talking about a different model, year or if it was just a typo.

No typo Fell'as Really..... its a 10/92 Yamaha 650 frame number between the forks says JYA5V400 3 DA106064
it's GVW is a whopping 935lbs !!!!!
Now it may NOT be a XS 650 but it is a Haratage special as it says so on the plastic side plates....
it only has 7400 miles on it and it was my brother-in-laws machine... he Loved it ! and took real good care of it.
however he died from Cancer at an early age and I wound up with the bike many years later.
I have been trying to get the beast back into running condition as I am a bike lover from way back.... at one time I had a Motorcycle shop so I am not new to machanics by any means but I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything that's why I asked !!!!!!
I lost all my manuals in a house fire that destroied our ranch and most of my tools..... it sucks when your wrench bends instead of loosening the nut !
but I still use them because that is what I have !
I am currently putting the bike back together after inspecting the engine cylinders and found everything in great shape !
I figured I'ed better tear it down because it sounded to me like metal to metal inside... but I found no evedence of that inside it !
so the tear down was for not. LOL
anyway.... thanks for the help it was most informative.... and the little hidden cir-clip will get my attention forthwith !
I must have at least half a dozen cir-clip tools as well as a old pare of pliers I ground into a useable pare HAHAHA!
living on a ranch in the middle of no where you learn to fix everything with what you have on hand not nessarally the right way but get it working again
is what I can do !
But Now you have my Couriousity up Is this bike a XS650 ? or is it something else ? ot looks exactly like the '84 special version but it is a 1992 make
of it .... just so you all know !
thanks again for the help !
Bob..........

no... its a parallel twin, pistons at the same height. as I said it looks exactly like a XS650 .... i mean exactly ! so I thought it was an XS
...I've had many many motorcycles over the years but this thing is not a v-twin the honda 700 shadow I had was, as well as the 1100cc shadow.
this'n is more like the old Honda 305 I grew up on ! LOL just bigger... and better being a yamaha !
it still puzzles me as to why the Bike magazines all gave the Yamaha 650 such a bad rap...I have had 2 of them and both went very well !
better than my honda's of the tiime and handled a hundred times better as well.... it's no Crotch rocket to be sure but it gets up and goes quite well
the bike in my avatar is the one I am talking about .... it's a 1992 Heritage special bought by my rother in law in '92 I believe,
the seat however went away years ago and was tossed by a father-in-law that had the cleaning bug ! LOL (if it's not nailed down it goes to the dump ! )
I can't find the engine numbers on this thing..... where are they on a XS 650 ???? anyone ?
Bob..........

this beastie is a 650 ...I say that because the pistons look like their at least 650cc ones and because the cam cover plates say 650 on them ! LOL
it has electronic ignition as well....no points a 5 speed trans and electric as well as kick starter ( almost impossable to find a Kick starter now days !)
i'm not sure but I think it has air adjustable front forks..... but I may be confusing it with another machine.
same set of tires on it that it came with ! HAHAHHA!
the seat used to have a small step in it and it was a comortable bike to set on... I now have a metal one with carpet over it and it hurts !
Bob.....

Bob welcome to the site. Maybe you would entertain the idea that the bike is an '83, but a typo/misunderstanding happened at registration? With larger displacement bikes arriving the 650 was left in the dust. New bikes were still being sold into the late '80's. There may still be a new crated 650 in the back of someones shop.. The engine numbers are on the front right side of the motor near the motor mount,

engine_vin.png

Serial # 5V4 106 should be an '83

well if I was going by the registration I would but I am going by the sticker between the forks on the frame ...it plainly says 10/92
so Yamaha Manifactured them at least till '92 though God only knows if I got the only one on the North American continent or not !
My Brother in Law did mention that they no longer made them and he said the guy at the shop told him that.....
the engine number is 5V4-06064 if that tells ya anything.
.... if it wern't for the sticker I'ed intertain the idea that the guys at the yamaha shop could'a passed off an '84 for a '92 but I really don't think that's the case....
Bob..............

It's an '82 I bet. Look to see if the sticker is scratched and the 8 looks like a 9.
If you go by the stamped VIN, which is what the DMV goes by, then it's an '82-'83.
Check the engine number as well.

I just double checked it is a 5V4-106064...... so does that mean they passed off a '83 for a '92 ????
oook I just tripple checked it is an 8 what looks like a nine......
under real close inspection part of the number is missing ( ink gone) but the indentation
if the top part of the 8 is there which confirms that it is indeeed a 82 NOT an 92
...... thank you for helping me clear that up !!!!!!
now I can get parts for it correct year and all ! LOL
Thank you !

Last edited:
It's not a '92...period. Didn't make them, they go by the frame numbers...period.
Forget the sticker. It's probably altered or scratched.
The VIN, being a 5V4 and 106XXX makes it an '83.
If it say's 10/82 (late manufacture date), then it would be sold as an '83.

Last edited:
You know being over 60 yrs does have it's disadvantages.... because I remember when he bought it and all that, but didn't think it was that long ago
but I guess it was.... HA !
glad it is a 82 actually..... and thanks for the location of the engine number !
..... Now that I got it running this evening once again.... I am wondering what I should make it look like..... not some farm empliment I've had a vew of those.... I'ed like to make this one special as it came from a special person....
but above all I want it to handle in the corners ! that is where I get the most fun in riding from.
What would you sujest ?
a Chopper?
A flat tracker ?
a cruser (and increase the weight ? nah !)
just replace the stock pipes with the type they have for the contest here ?
it's got the right color already....BLACK ! LOL
that purdy pic on Mikes XS is a real winner in my book i think it's a flat tracker but I'ed really have fun on that !
especially sense I can't ride very long any more ....my hands go numb and my bones hurt ! so 30 minutes is about all I can do ! (sniff)
thank you again !
I really appreciate the help and follow through to get me on the right track ! I need all the help I can get ! LOL
C ya'
Bob.............

Each bike is a statement about the owner, not what his friends think.
That said as a fellow 60 something that's fun to RIDE is a much better than what looks cool.

20160604_160328.jpg

This 79 (77 paint) gets regular revisions but it suits my old bones for a few hours of riding and draws LOTS of complements. It now has a small windshield a different seat, the handle bars are a bit more up and back for comfort behind the windshield. It also has a cafe-ish seat which may or may not stay. Next up? prossibly different forks and front brakes.
My first real motorcycle was also a 305 (scrambler)

Nice looking Machine gggGary .....
ofcourse your right.... Fun to ride out weighs the looking cool by far..... alwayse has ! but a bit of both is alwayse nice....
...My First Real motorcycle ( above 100cc) was a Honda 305 Dream..... I somethined think of it as a Nightmare though ! LOL
I put on 1000 miles a month on it rain or shine for about 5 years...it was a very reliable machine but looked ugly with that Pressed tin body.
throughout my life I have had arround 34 or 35 Motorcycles.... all makes and modles usually the smaller ones though 250~350cc
the biggest bike I ever owned was a Honda Shadow 1100cc.... it was a "Too" machine ....Too big , Too Fat, Too HEAVY..... I never owned a Harley
because I couldn't see the sense in getting a bike that cost so much to replace parts ! but they are Strong Sturdy bikes!
From Honda to Zundapp I've had a bunch of machines.... only had 2 wrecks that I walked away from none involving any one else.
I started Riding because it was the best Motive of transportation known to man ( that you didn't have to peddle!)
I went to the Kawasaki School in portland Or. on the 1100-6 and worked in a few Bike shops in the Reno airea... and then moved back home to the Ranch in northern ca....
Retired now, but with so little money coming in it makes it almost impossable to repair anything.... I've been waiting 2 months for SPARK PLUGS !!!!
but be that as it may... it's better than Working for a living !
.... I stumbled on to Mikes XS about a week ago, and thought I found a windfall ! I can get parts fer that O'l Yamaha 650 !!!!! WOOO HOOO!
so the light came on and I thought why not make the bike of my dreams ?
Although I doubt I can afford to do such a thing.... i'ed like to try ! LOL
When We had a House fire I lost 5 motorcycles that were in great shape... the 1100cc shadow, a XRL650cc Honda, a 700cc honda shadow,
a Suzuki 250cc trials bike, and a Kawasaki 350 twin....the forest service guys just watched them burn wothout moving them.
and I had no insurance.... we were planning on getting insurance he next month !
..... we gave up staying on the ranch after 4 years of trying to find a way to re-build.... so we moved OUT of shasta County and bought a house with a small shop in Weed Ca.......
that's How I got here. LOL I can look out my window and see Mt.Shasta and that is worth allot.
time to go make that 650 Purr......
C ya !
Bob..........

it RUNS !!!!
and the front brake works too !!!!
thanks guys for all the help !
Bob...........

Back