Blinker speed

hand8272

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble with my aftermarket turn signals. I've search the forum and had trouble finding the answer.
I'm running just rear turn signals with all custom wiring. The problem I'm having is at idle the blinkers work fine. When rpm's increase they blink faster until it's constantly on.
They are not LEDs.
I have a two prong flasher attached to the turn signals.
Thanks for the help.

I have found that the blinkers respond faster or slower depending on the load. I would try a different blinker. I was always told that metal units are heavier duty than the plastic. Mine blink a bit slow without the front lights plugged in on my trike, then are just fine when I add the load of two more bulbs. Run an extra wire with a good size bulb, even a headlight bulb, and I'll bet it all changes. I think your problem is not having front bulbs in the load.

I'm having a little trouble with my aftermarket turn signals. I've search the forum and had trouble finding the answer.
I'm running just rear turn signals with all custom wiring. The problem I'm having is at idle the blinkers work fine. When rpm's increase they blink faster until it's constantly on.
They are not LEDs.
I have a two prong flasher attached to the turn signals.
Thanks for the help.

The stock flasher unit only works when you have both front and rear bulbs. The flasher needs the current flow from 2 bulbs in order to work properly. Buy yourself a
Tridon HD12 flasher. It will work with just one bulb per side or with 2 bulbs per side.

The stock flashers will sometimes stop flashing, when the engine idle speed drops down and voltage drops off. The Tridon HD12 is also safer to use, because it keeps on flashing even when voltage drops low.

Hooked up the tridon last night, worked perfectly thanks for the help! One note is I couldn't find the HD12 so I used the EL12 not sure what the difference is but it worked.

Some flashers are thermal flashers, these flashers use a bimetal strip to control the flash. These flashers are effected by the load as well as the voltage.
The way they work is the bimetal strip is made with two types of metal boned together. As electricity flows through this strip it gets warm. The two different metals in the strip expand from the heat at different rates, causing the strip to bend. This opens the contacts, letting it cool off, closing the contacts.
The current flow through the strip is effected by both the wattage of the bulb and the voltage. To low a wattage and no flash, won't heat the strip. Low voltage works the same, won't heat the strip.
So in your case I think low voltage is causing your symptoms. That's why it changes as you rev the engine, as the engine revs increase so does the voltage.
Other flashers use a solid state circuit to control the flash. Some are more sensitive to loads than others. Some are not load sensitive at all and can flash with just one LED bulb or up to 150 watts of regular bulbs.
Leo

Back