Blinky no Blinky help?

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
I put new incandesent turnsignals on and a new 3 prong flasher and still no bllink. They all light up and just stay that way. Checked the ground to the flasher and jumped a power supply direct to the flasher no change. :wtf:

I don't think the new three prong flashers work the same as the ones on the XS650. Try a two prong flasher. I can't ever seem to be able to recall the number, 522 or 533 or something like that. Any way plug it in the socket the flasher goes in so the two prongs are going into where the brown and brown/white wires are Just ignore the third wire.
Leo

I put new incandesent turnsignals on and a new 3 prong flasher and still no bllink. They all light up and just stay that way. Checked the ground to the flasher and jumped a power supply direct to the flasher no change. :wtf:

Yes, that's very typical how they work..............I mean don't work. The standard (bi-metallic strip) cheapy flasher units require a large enough current flow to heat up the bi-metallic strip.

The reasons they don't flash:
1) Battery voltage is too low,....................they don't flash with 12.5 or even 13 volts. So they won't flash with the engine off. Also,that's why they quite often don't flash with the engine idling, and may quit flashing while sitting at an inter-section.

2) Wrong wattage bulbs................they need to be the #1156 bulbs.

3) Bulb base and/or the bulb socket is all rusty and corroded, making for high resistance.

If you want the flashers to work even with the voltage down to 12 or 11 volts, replace the standard flasher with a "Tridon HD12". It's not affected by low voltage, because it works on capacitor charge time, not current flow to the bulbs. Its a 2 pin type as Leo mentioned. "X" on flasher connects to brown; "L" on flasher connects to brown/white.

Yes, that's very typical how they work..............I mean don't work. The standard (bi-metallic strip) cheapy flasher units require a large enough current flow to heat up the bi-metallic strip.

The reasons they don't flash:
1) Battery voltage is too low,....................they don't flash with 12.5 or even 13 volts. So they won't flash with the engine off. Also,that's why they quite often don't flash with the engine idling, and may quit flashing while sitting at an inter-section.

2) Wrong wattage bulbs................they need to be the #1156 bulbs.

3) Bulb base and/or the bulb socket is all rusty and corroded, making for high resistance.

If you want the flashers to work even with the voltage down to 12 or 11 volts, replace the standard flasher with a "Tridon HD12". It's not affected by low voltage, because it works on capacitor charge time, not current flow to the bulbs. Its a 2 pin type as Leo mentioned. "X" on flasher connects to brown; "L" on flasher connects to brown/white.

Thanks you guys are the best

would the Tridon HD12 work with aftermarket turns? I am using a smaller turn signal all the way around and the lights will go on, but wont blink. If I touch the headlight with the relay wire, the headlight will flash so I assume the relay is still working.

would the Tridon HD12 work with aftermarket turns? I am using a smaller turn signal all the way around and the lights will go on, but wont blink. If I touch the headlight with the relay wire, the headlight will flash so I assume the relay is still working.

Here is a link with some good info:
http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=478&P=104171

It appears that the Tridon HD12 will flash with a minimum load of 25 watts. So, that means 2 of your bulbs would have to draw at least 25 watts (12.5 watts each).

If your bulbs are LEDs, then you have to use an LED flasher, as they can flash with a load as small as 0.020 amps.

Glad to see this post......this site does rock gentlemanjim!
was having similar issues with my mostly original 72xs650, I'm just repairing/replacing as I go and checking this forum first as things "break".....my left signal was not working and the right was....saw a similar thread, replaced the flasher andn waaaalaahh....Flash on!

Glad to see this post......this site does rock gentlemanjim!
was having similar issues with my mostly original 72xs650, I'm just repairing/replacing as I go and checking this forum first as things "break".....my left signal was not working and the right was....saw a similar thread, replaced the flasher andn waaaalaahh....Flash on!

I used the Tridon EL12....that is what was at Autozone, 6 1/2 dozen but the HD I could only find online.

I am having a similar issue that i hope someone here can help me with. My 1973 T650 that im restoring is having a signal issue. When i got the bike it didn't have any signals on it. I purchased original sets for the front and the back and im pretty sure i have them all wired in correctly. now when i push the button to the right or the left the lights stay on until i turn the button back to off. Why are they not blinking? i read that there is a relay in the system somewhere but i dont see one on this bike. Where does it go? how to i wire it on to the system if its not there? please help thank you

I am having a similar issue that i hope someone here can help me with. My 1973 T650 that im restoring is having a signal issue. When i got the bike it didn't have any signals on it. I purchased original sets for the front and the back and im pretty sure i have them all wired in correctly. now when i push the button to the right or the left the lights stay on until i turn the button back to off. Why are they not blinking? i read that there is a relay in the system somewhere but i dont see one on this bike. Where does it go? how to i wire it on to the system if its not there? please help thank you

I've since learned that some bikes require the engine to be running to get the blinkers to blink - Try that.

On the stock system the flasher is load sensitive, this means it only works with the stock 27 watt bulbs. Some bulbs are 23 watts. If your new signal lights have the wrong bulbs they won't flash.
I'm not sure on the 73 but on my 75 the turn signals flasher is under the tank. It is a steel can about i inch in diameter and abouit two inches long. It has three wires going to it. A brown, a brown/white and a black.
Leo

Back