BMW R65 vs xs650

realgone

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been getting the itch to get a new bike and want to hear from forum members who have some experience on BMW airheads.
How does the xs650 stack up against the BMW r65?
I'm more interested in comparison's in the ride than parts availability but any info is welcome.
Thanks fellas.

The R65 is a wonderful bike. It was BMW's replacement for their smaller twins when they got rid of the 600 and 750 (which grew to an 800). The XS650 and R65 are very close on power output (around 50HP) but are very different in the way that power is delivered and used. The R65 isn't as snappy off the line but will cruise effortlessly all day long between 70 and 90. The XS has great low end and midrange but won't be flying down the highway like that. Even though they're similar in size and power output, these are two very different bikes.

I loved my '82 R100RS that I bought new. True it's bigger than a R65. These things are ment to blaze the Autobahn and not get run over by Mercedes Benz semis. Maintenance is sometimes easier than our beloved XS. Carb removals and valve adjustments come to mind.
Ride comparison? I'm not the joe to answer that. I like them both. But I'm not that choosy either.

Wanna get on a bike and ride hours and hours down the interstate or highway? Spend much time above 70 mph?

Get the BMW.

Want a bike to go from one town to the next or like to travel at a more relaxed pace.....then consider the XS (although the BMW is just as good at this).

Honestly.....I love my XS....but the BMW is the all around better bike if your going to ride it in somewhat stock trim.

All day Highway burner, the BMW
Backroad cruiser or errand runner, the XS650
Maintenance needs? About the same. Maybe the XS needs more due to chain lubes.

I would add that the chassis and suspension is more refined out of the box on the old beemer too. Not legendary, but never called a "hinged" bike like our beloved XSs either. My cousin restores 65s, usually about 1 a year. He's a beemerphile, so it's all as politically correct as it comes, except for polishing and paint. Does some beautiful work.

the bmw was a bit ahead of its time in technology.a bit smoother with better carbs.heck i think they had shaft drive in the 30's.

they never built one as pretty as a xs tho.

I was curious, myself. You might find consistent reports here but overall they will conflict. For example: http://www.davidst.com/motorcycle_reviews/1983_bmw_r65.html which says it sucks on the highway. Wherever there's a conflict it means there's no clear winner. Personally I always wondered if it would break the engine if the bike fell over on its side.

If you want to learn about airheads watch Chris Harris's videos on youtube. I was looking at a R100RT but I couldn't stand hitting my legs on the lower fairing and I felt cramped. The airheads run so smooth and are great for long rides.

thanks for the info guys.
it means a lot coming from other xs650 riders, as the xs650 is the bike I spend the most time on.
I'm finding that the xs650 isn't really fulfilling my needs anymore.
I love riding it around town, love the way it looks etc.
But when it's time to get on to the highway, even for an hour or so, I'm not looking forward to it at all.
I changed the gearing from a 17/36 (!!!) to a 17/32 and it was a big improvement, but still not great.
I did lower the bike in the front with hhb spacers, and put progressive shocks on the back. maybe the lack of travel has something to do with it.
I'm really interested in the airheads for the look, power delivery (i doubt i'll ever ride a 4 cyl again) and ease of maintenance. I have a rough r90s in the garage, but r65's keep popping up for good prices. I know an r100 would be the way to go for a highway runner, but I keep wondering if I'd be happier with an r65 for around town rather than my trusty old xs. grass is always greener, eh?
anyway, thanks for the info and more is welcome!

I have two R75's and just love them .....

MySlash6.jpg

Slash5.jpg

Properly set up with Euro bars and the right accessories, they're wonderful, do anything bikes.

I have a r60 (600c.c.). It is a better bike in my opinion, its a much smoother ride. They are both really cool bikes but I would pick the beemer for longer rides.

Yes, they both do actually. They're aftermarket items and were very popular with the Beemer crowd. It protects your paint job when running a tank bag and, well, any true Beemer fan does. The BMWs were what 1st got me into running tank bags. I have quite a collection. One of the coolest set-ups I have is the French-made Bagster on my Moto Guzzi. They make half tank covers for numerous bikes and the bags attach to them .....

MyLeMans.jpg

Here's that Beemer without the cover. Yes, she's a "Toaster" tank model .....

MySlash5.jpg

what a crazy topic to come across. i really want a toaster tank i actually found one at a dealer just before i bought my cafe xs650. having my xs for a few weeks then the dealer decides to call me. well now here i am an xs cafe owner and love wrenching on the bike. if the bmw is priced right i may have to become a toaster tank owner too.
i love the stand out looks of the toaster tank bmw it sets you apart from the average joes and really turns heads, but then again my carbon fiber custom cafe xs650 turns heads too.
i have been told those bmws are very reliable and often get many reliable miles all the ones i have seen have high miles and running strong. if there is a toaster tank scoop that thing up they are not as common to find as an xs and you can always come back to the xs

Funny thing is, when the toaster tank came out, no true Beemer enthusiast wanted one. You also had a choice of a larger 6.3 gal. tank with rubber knee pads and that's what they wanted - the toaster only holds 4.5 gal. Now, the toaster tank is all the rage, lol. If you're into early '70s airheads, the model I have is one of the most sought after. It's a '73 1/2 LWB R75/5 in Granada Red. BMW lengthened the wheelbase 2" in the 2nd half of the '73 model year.

^It's because when the toasters were new, all of them were shiny. But now, its owner can reasonably point to it and say "It's shiny", causing envy to those who also are attracted to shiny objects :) Worst case, it's not for sale at any price.

I really love your R 75 5twins. Super nice bike you had hidden under the bag. Those bags look great on it. I borrowed an R 6 for a weekend ride I liked the low speed lack of chain slap. It was a lot better ride quality than the 650. I like my bike but would love to have an R 75 like yours. I also liked the gussi with the beer cooler packed down. :thumbsup:

Back