Bobber Build

Which resivour, front or rear?

3 was my number in sports growing up, and has been my "lucky number" 3 is also my wife's number growing up. We also have matching tattoos with 3's in them.

One of my rear fender welds broke today :doh:

Fender got into the tire... Ruined :mad:

Really bummed that I had that profesionally painted!!

Ya true, it only had like half an inch to move before it touched. It just rubbed and made a whirring noise.. not really ruined from the tire, just how the weld broke. Apparently the fender material was too thin and brittle, cuz it took a chunk of the fender off right where I welded the mount to. Now I'm just deciding weather or not to ride it fenderless until I build a new one..

Ya, probably vibrations. Tabs didn't budge, it was the half inch bung that I welded to the stock front fender that didn't hold. I'm thinkin it got really thin where I welded and just shook apart .

hey sorry hear that. I would like to see a photo too, please if you get the chance. Getting ready to weld a couple bungs to my fender, too.

Here are some pics.

This is what it used to look like(dont bondo over your welds... It cracks right away)
IMAG0029.jpg

And this is how it looks now
IMAG0030.jpg

And this is what my chain did after about 15min of riding.
IMAG0033.jpg

Mi dios took out right to the edges of the welds. I think I will not weld mine on but bolt it on with some rubber gromets. Maybe I can avoid this. The spacer tabs which got ripped off can be welded to the frame this way.

Well still havent fixed the fender, but I did mount my new headlight and build my exhaust :thumbsup:

I really liked ardcores "top fools" exhaust but I couldnt justify $250 for raw metal pipes that are so simple..

So:
IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

It was pretty simple to make them. Just chopped my stock pipes about 2 in from where they start, weld a 90 on there, then weld another 90 on the end and cut to desired length. Only took about an hour to build them total. Then paint with vht paint, install headder wrap, seal wrap and voila!

No noticible power loss or gain really, not really louder either, sure does sound different though, and backfires when decelerating.

Nice bike! Gives me a lot of ideas for my build. Popping on deceleration usually means you are a little lean. Congratulations on a great build.

Pipes look great! Have you tried anti reversion cones to help with the popping? In my experience a pipe this short and unbaffled will be almost impossible to properly tune. If it idles well, has no "flat" spots on a steady and robust acceleration and only pops on decell I would say not to worry about it.
Maybe you could weld your rear fender bungs to the frame and bolt the fender to them?
Nice job documenting your build.

Thanks for the compliments. We will see if it was lean or not, I sold my stock carbs and will be getting some pwk's from mikes over the winter, from the sounds of it they are pretty well tuned right out of the box minus some fuel screw adjustements. Also switching to pamco's ignition and hughs pma charging system. If anybody needs some electrical stuff I still have my stock reg/rec for sale and my homemade bobber wireharness from a few pages back..

It's funny--when I found this site I thought --bobber??? Naa--it's not me. Then after I follow several builds like yours--I'm thinking--hell yea! Very cool for people like you to spend time with the pics & commentary let alone the build itself. My hats off to ya--you have a killer ride that no one can buy at any box store!

My hats off to ya--you have a killer ride that no one can buy at any box store!

Thats exactly why I built this bike, and those are my favorite kind of compliments to get :D:D

On another note here is stage 1 of my winter upgrades..
IMAG0222.jpg

Back