boiling carbs in lemon juice

stewart90

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any ideas/tips on taking the carbs off and boiling them in lemon juice ? I'll remove the bowl to and bowl that's about all I know for now. I'll look on you tube tonight and see just curious if anyone has done this

Also while on the subject of carbs I have a really stupid question about the choke, this is my first bike and I am learning as I go. I've had some vacuum problems so it's been running funny and this is where my stupid question is..... I can't tell which way up or down is choke on and off due to running/idling funny ply help

Should work. Just make sure you strain out the pulp w/ some coffee filters. Complete dissasembly is recommended to get all the crusty tough stuff.
Then there's Pinesol, mouthwash, etc, etc, or (my cure-all....trusted for decades....) plain 'ol carb cleaner with a dipping basket and a solvent flush.
Don't forget compressed air and a blow gun!

On the choke/enrichener, up is off, down is on.

id use a crock pot and pinesol much cheaper then a bucket of carb cleaner. you can leave the house and let it cook for hours. I hear the off brand doesnt do the trick like the name brand...not sure if its true, but why chance it for a couple bucks? also carb cleaner eats plastic and rubber whereas pinesol doesnt. then boil the carb parts in water after that.

You might want to search out CalsXS thread on boiling in pinesol before actually trying it. It gave a burnt look to the aluminum.

Posted via Mobile

I didn't use a crock pot. No need to boil anything. Just let them sit for no more than 24 hours completely dissassembled with all the seals and rubber out etc, etc. Give them a little scrub with a tooth brush halfway through. Anymore than 24 hours will start to do funny things to aluminum.
I used the name brad pine-sol BTW. Don't know bout the lemon juice thing.

Last edited:
I did the pinesol in crock pot method and here is what I can suggest. Take the carbs apart and set aside all the rubber seals gaskets etc.. Whatever you can take off that is not metal is good. My cheap crock pot only has three setting warm, low and high. I watered down the pinesol a bit to submerge all the parts and set it at high and left them over night. I dig get a tarnished burnt look after it was finished so I would suggest a low setting. After I was done I rinsed the carbs and gave them a spray with carb cleaner and used compressed air to blow everything out. They aren't very shiny anymore but they are very clean.

I did the pinesol in crock pot method and here is what I can suggest. Take the carbs apart and set aside all the rubber seals gaskets etc.. Whatever you can take off that is not metal is good. My cheap crock pot only has three setting warm, low and high. I watered down the pinesol a bit to submerge all the parts and set it at high and left them over night. I dig get a tarnished burnt look after it was finished so I would suggest a low setting. After I was done I rinsed the carbs and gave them a spray with carb cleaner and used compressed air to blow everything out. They aren't very shiny anymore but they are very clean.

yeah i wouldnt go over night, also crock pots have one temp....the high and low or sometimes medium just means it may take longer to reach that temp. but in the end it will only have one temp setting. also each set of will be soaking a certin length depending on how much work they need.

Last edited:
Back