Boost torque across rev range

According to the Mike's XS catalog, the pipes are 1-1/2" OD single wall pipes, but in thick material, so that the ID is 1-1/4"--close enough to stock spec as to make no difference.

Get it dialed in and running strong. Even a stock XS tuned right should pull 2 with no problem. If it is not enough power for you and the only mods are to pull 2 then maybe you need a second bike for that purpose. Stay with stock timing. Check compression, timing chain adjust and valve clearances. Proper ignition, even stock must be in good condition. Carbs can be more then the it appears, especially if you are at altitude. Air filters and exhaust complete the fuel system tuning.

If you change the rear sprocket you will probbaly need a longer chain. Not sure how much adjustment will allow for? Be sure to use the old "one change at a time" so you can keep track of what made a difference, good or bad.

Okay, it's been nearly a year since I updated this thread, but it's been a busy summer and I had an out-of-town internship for close to three months - missed most of riding season.

The bike was running really well before I made any changes - it was bone stock in the carbs. While that does make it a bit rich, it also makes it very easy to start on cool mornings, so I didn't touch it. Compression was also good, valves were good, and timing chain.

However! I ordered one of Gordon Scott's exhaust systems last spring, a 2-2 system. Taking off the old exhaust revealed other problems with the bike (dirty engine, rust spots on the frame, leaking fork seals), so it took me a while to get everything cleaned up and put back together.

Video

There's a guy across the alley from me that rides a savage. Every time he starts up I've been getting a little jealous that he can ride and I can't. No longer!

Last edited:
Back