What's wrong with points.???

JOHNDADDY

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just want to edumicate myself, I'm prepping a build, but this would add a lot of $ to it.
I am a " spirited rider " and more at times.
But I just don't get the electronic end of it.
I'm going to rebuild a 75, lets call it stock for now, points and condenser.
I'm not going to race the track,
but I might be on one. If you know what I mean.
Would it make a difference to me to go electronic?
In Laymans terms please
Kinda cost benefit analysis.
Don't care about off the line, rolling throttle response above 50 MPH YUP!
Really? How much more top end MPH?
In Laymans term please, dynamo bs I'm just not up with. :shrug: :umm:

I think it's more of a maintenance thing than performance. Maintaining that dual points system can be a royal P.I.T.A. sometimes. It's also getting harder to find good replacement points.

Thanks, 5T. I hope not, because unless someone sells me, I'm going old school.
Maybe I should stock up now.
I hate to say Harley on the Forum but my 86 has a condenser,
Apparently, the PO didn't want to spend the cash so he went to points instead.
I'm good with it.
I didn't think it would make a difference, but I don't know about this new stuff,
an old dog learning new tricks. Woof!

Electronic is for easier maintenance, you won't get any performance increase. Why not convert to a single points system: Easier to set and maintain than the twin points setup. If you're handy with the tools you should be able to make a backing plate to fit a more common points set.

Thanks toglhot but I never really thought it was a problem keeping the bike in tune.
Labour of love.
I liked that I could tickle each side to it's happy place, spark, carbs, cables etc.
I never touched her unless she acted up, and when she did I was Johnny on the spot.
Two to prime, flip the switch and broom, if she didn't, I'd find out why.
She has electric start, but after a harness fire I never hooked it back in. It keeps me honest.
When you have to kick you can' be lazy about a no fire.
I don't know about single points set up. Kinda funny, I know everything about a Yamaha XS650, this one.
I pulled parts off others to keep her running, but they were all cadavers to me, once they went on Thumper
then I cared. The electronic end of things I just don't know, seems lot a lot of cash for little buck.
This new stuff is all new stuff to me if you know what I mean. Bang for the buck is it worth it?
If it makes her better, stronger, faster. Yup! But for the cash $250 or better???

Well, check eBay regularly for any Daiichi points sets you can find. Just make sure they are the later type with the part number ending in "11" .....

DaiichiPoints.jpg

Late-11Points.jpg

This later points set has a larger diamond shaped mounting hole .....

LatePoints2.jpg

Lots of early sets come up on eBay but you don't want them. Their part number ends in "10" and they have a much smaller oval mounting hole. They will only fit the '70-'73 models .....

Early-10Points.jpg

Umm, I have a 74 and it has the points with the oval mounting hole???

Well, check eBay regularly for any Daiichi points sets you can find. Just make sure they are the later type with the part number ending in "11" .....

View attachment 261381

View attachment 261382

View attachment 261383

Lots of early sets come up on eBay but you don't want them. Their part number ends in "10" and they have a much smaller oval mounting hole. They will only fit the '70-'73 models .....

View attachment 261384
I've been wondering about points sets. The two sets on the bike I'm presently bringing back to life look unused. Previous owner must have put them in prior to selling the bike. I have fitted new condensers but left the points as they are. I am guessing 99% of the points sets I see for sale are Chinesium and basically rubbish.

Those Daiichi points are presumably Japanese and as good as NOS Yamaha? Thanks for the information.

Electronic is for easier maintenance, you won't get any performance increase.
Possibly true but that does assume that the points have been set correctly.
Nor will you get the performance decrease that can happen as points wear.
You are also less likely to get a failure.
Finally, the time saved by not having to maintain them can be spent riding. :D

There are different grades on going electronic
The cheap ones are by and large " S*it " points much better. And a factory solution.
The programmable ones expensive
Some are sensitive for spikes in the Power supply can fire unpredictably.
Most give problems if voltage is out of range to low wont start to high who knows what happens
Points wont start either if to low
Points can sometimes be repaired out on the road which a BOX cannot . Some riders like that.
If the points setup is not worn and springs and lubrication is kept in order.
I dont see any reason shift to electronic . I Would not do it.

I Used points back in the day ..but did not know i was supposed to lubricate the advance rod
Went to Boyer Bransden
More than once I have thought about go back to points .
Bike ran fine like a scolded rat on middle and high rpm even though the advancing was off and so --Weak springs and worn non lubricated rod
Dont know why but it just was i the Sweet Zone

I still run the stock point ignition on my mostly stock 77 XS, but I do plan on going electronic later. The points themselves may well be the least problematic part of the stock system, while the mechanical advance system is known to develop issues over time. Either binding due to lack of lubrication or over advancing due to weak springs or worn stopper tabs. Also, the stock coils are not considered to be very good. With a high budget, I would recommend a Power dynamo/ VAPE CDI system. Boyer seems to work ok, at least with the small mounting upgrades previously discussed on this forum.

View attachment 261381

View attachment 261382

View attachment 261383

View attachment 261384
Can they be dremmeled? what happens when you use an oval mount on a later bike? do you just lose your range of movement to set gap?

I used a Nippondenso set that replaced what was in there that had "china" stamped on it

Before I put a hidden HEI set-up on my 73 vette, the points would always fire the iggy and plug.
but, I did notice a perf. drop off after about 5k miles with equal dwell vs. new.
new points perked up perf. for another 5k miles

seems they do not break as cleanly as new ones

HEI really made a big difference

cliff

What year was that article Jim and what is $119.50 in today's money?
Interestingly enough, my XS650 starts cold after a week of sitting still better than my 2 TCI (I think) XJ650 bikes.

That being said, Electronic Ignition and Fuel injection have SPOILED modern car/bike owners and "warming up the car" has gone by the wayside.
My GM cars all have remote start and I religiously start them up from afar to shorten the warm up cycle to at least give the oil a chance to circulate before I take off.

View attachment 261381

View attachment 261382

View attachment 261383

View attachment 261384
I found a box that looked just like that cleaning up the deck.
Can't read the numbers, but they're 15 if not a year old.
I thought it was a box of 22 rounds, nope. a brand new set of points.
Score!

1707539098461.png

I put a Dyna lll in my '77...............in 1977. Then I put a Shell 750 kit in and it worked great. Don't think they're $120 now though.

Back