Boyer Bransden question

At idle you won't get 14.5 volts, The speed the alternator spins determines the output. At idle 12-13 volts is more likely.
With your meter hooked to the battery, what is your volts at idle? Now slowly rev the engine, Does the voltage rise? At around 2000 rpms it should reach about 14.5 volts. As you rev it higher it should not climb any higher.
This will indicate your charging system is working.
If your voltage doesn't rise I might suggest fully charging the battery. Now start the bike by kicking. This won't draw the battery down like the e-start will.
What test volts do you get.
Now If it still reads low there is a very good charging system troubleshooting guide on here some. Sorry I can't do links but you can find it in the XS650 TECH section.
Your charging problems can be as simple as cleaning a few dirty connections. Or you might need to replace a few parts. Usually not more than around $150- $200.
Follow the guide to be sure.
Leo

jamesc, sounds like you have a charging or wiring problem here. Are you running the original rotor/stator or have yous swapped it for PMA? If you are on the original rotor stator you should check that it is still in good condition by using the multimeter to test it. One of the guys will jump in and tell you the settings. If your batter has power but is losing power you may have a poor ground. Check all grounds, clean them.

ANLAF

So this may be a stupid question BUT is there a need for a kill switch and an ignition switch for the Boyer to work properly?.... its like a switch on the switch isn't it? Or do some countries have regulations for a handle bar kill switch? Please clear this up for me.

Lester

To my knowledge the kill switch is there as a handy tool when you're lying under a screaming bike to shut it up. I would imagine, countries, states etc will legislate differently as to what's required. There's no technical reason to have it, certainly not for a Boyer to work - it only requires one switched power source.

Back