Braces

dlabkeeg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
PO cut out the braces behind the steering head. Should I replace them, or is it good to ride without.

Attachments

• DSCF0396.jpg
    DSCF0396.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 164
I've seen people ride without them.. Yamaha probably put them there for a reason... I'd add some gusseting back in.

:agree:

When I had TCBros rake my neck. They cut them out as well, but whenever the raking was finished they put thicker pieces back in. So I would definitely put new ones in.

:agree::agree:
Yamaha XS frame was never great, thats why they added all that extra bracing, I believe Percy Tait (Triumph motorcycle engineer) helped them out on this, I think it needs all the bracing it can get :bike:

Yes, put them back in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am also removing mine and reinstalling different one.

Ok, now I know to put them back in, how thick should the brace be? I cut the front of my 56 truck frame off, and it's 1/8" thick. If that's thick enough that'd be great, I'd have plenty to spare.

1/8" plate sounds thick enough if using two, as original but Id use thicker if going the single plate in the middle route

All welding, especially structual frame welding should be done by a ticketed or very competant welder.

In the diagram above welding the plates in sub-pic C/. as shown with the tick is very difficult and some one who is an average welder will not get the strength in the weld for it to be safe..........This is where most of the stresses gravitate to

Oh don't worry, I can't weld worth a damn. I'll take it to the guy who did all the welding on my truck. Also, I was think about putting one on the bottom. Think it's overkill? Or maybe a secret compartment. Like Maxwell Smart.

Attachments

• IMG_NEW.jpg
    IMG_NEW.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 138
I bought a bike once with an extended swing arm with a secret compartment built into the bracing at the front of the swing arm.

This one was strange built into the underside of the swing arm so totally hidden without crawling around, can't think what he used it for:smoke::laughing:

Back