Brake Bleeding Issues, Aftermarket MC

Is the spooge hole supposed to be,
- That big,
- And that far back?

SpoogeHole.jpg

I have a stock set up on an 80, 2 flexible lines, I changed the lines to braided steel, cleaned the caliper and mc. When I put it all on I tried conventional bleeding, the hang with mc at high point for days, I had great pressure at the mc, I put my thumb over the mc opening and bled it separately, all to no avail.
Idk what is up with bleeding these front brakes but it is a fikle beast.

I have a stock set up on an 80, 2 flexible lines, I changed the lines to braided steel, cleaned the caliper and mc. When I put it all on I tried conventional bleeding, the hang with mc at high point for days, I had great pressure at the mc, I put my thumb over the mc opening and bled it separately, all to no avail.
Idk what is up with bleeding these front brakes but it is a fikle beast.
Remove caliper, force the piston in (c-clamp), pump it out, maybe repeat, then bleed normally. Watch reservoir level so it doesn't spill over.

You are using what looks like a master cylinder with a 13mm. bore . The early caliper has 2
live pistons which requires something like a 22mm. bore so I doubt this set up will work
even if you can bleed it.

Good idea but, I would NOT trust a $10.00 eBay cheapo brake line around the block, let alone any other usage. Brakes are NOT an area to go cheap on!!
I agree BUT; been using the banggood cheapo's for quite some time, on 7 or 8 bikes now, 20,000 + miles? no problems.

Good catch 650trader! I think He'll be fine with a 13mm once he gets SS (teflon) lines, report back, Actually that kind of shows up his original problem, small diameter MC doesn't have enough volume to deal with spongy rubber lines.

I probably didn't do enough research but I thought I saw someone using this size bore with the setup I've got.

If the stainless brake lines will help, I'm not too worried.

The goto page when considering master cylinder sizing. ( Support Micheal Morse!)
http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm
Your 13mm should be "fine", even smaller would be better?
To be completely transparent I have reduced the MC diameter on a late model set up
but haven't used anything other than the stock MC on an early brake system.

Last edited:
Back