Brake calliper/pads assembly

nb1914

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Trying to put my callipers back together with new pads. The manual show exploded diagram but its pretty useless. I have the below plus 2 shims ( i know where these go )

Does anyone have a good picture showing especially where that bronze clip goes, i also assume that the supplier of the pad kit has put that brass screw in for the end user to grind the last section of thread off to fit in the pad hole. Can the pads be assembled into the calliper halve seen in the photo first then this assembled onto the fixed calliper half attached to the front fork or rear axle. I have looked through many previous threads but as the callipers came disassembled I'm not sure of the start point. I have installed new pistons and seals so the pistons are set right back so should be no issue fitting over disc.

IMG_2658.JPG

thats the one i have in my manual, except for the extra clip as part of the 5 bundle, the one on the back of the left disc ? so the brass clip that i do have goes with the spigot facing away from the disc and to the left of the inside of the calliper towards the piston. there doest seem to be any positive location for that clip does it just sit in there

This is the rear caliper but the position of the clip you wondered about is better illustrated. The mounting bracket differs obviously, but all the parts associated with the caliper are the same .....

DiscPadParts.jpg

A couple things to note. The sleeve #7 should easily slide back and forth in the rubber grommet #6. This caliper only has one moving piston and only applies pressure to the pads from one side. That means it slides sideways (outward) a little when applied. That grommet and sleeve allow it to do so, and then return when the brake is released - but only if those two parts are free to move one inside the other. Get yourself some red rubber grease. It's commonly available in your country. It's specifically made for lubing rubber parts.

Next, those two little #5 shims or clips that fit into the caliper mount. If you examine them, you may find some little rubber squares glued inside one .....

BrakePadKit.jpg

This was an anti-squeal measure taken by Yamaha a year or two after this caliper was introduced. If you find one with the rubber in it, it should go in the front position, in front of the caliper so it pushes against it when you brake. Apparently they thought a little rubber padding might absorb some vibrations which often are the cause of brake squeal. My brake started squealing shortly after I installed supposedly really good aftermarket pads (they're not). I installed one of these rubber padded clips but it did nothing, lol.

thats the diagram i was after ………made me laugh as i did find a shim with those small rubber pads and i duly removed them thinking the PO had bodged something………….sounds like i was wrong and it was yamaha who bodged it

This is the rear caliper but the position of the clip you wondered about is better illustrated. The mounting bracket differs obviously, but all the parts associated with the caliper are the same .....

DiscPadParts.jpg

A couple things to note. The sleeve #7 should easily slide back and forth in the rubber grommet #6. This caliper only has one moving piston and only applies pressure to the pads from one side. That means it slides sideways (outward) a little when applied. That grommet and sleeve allow it to do so, and then return when the brake is released - but only if those two parts are free to move one inside the other. Get yourself some red rubber grease. It's commonly available in your country. It's specifically made for lubing rubber parts.

Next, those two little #5 shims or clips that fit into the caliper mount. If you examine them, you may find some little rubber squares glued inside one .....

BrakePadKit.jpg

This was an anti-squeal measure taken by Yamaha a year or two after this caliper was introduced. If you find one with the rubber in it, it should go in the front position, in front of the caliper so it pushes against it when you brake. Apparently they thought a little rubber padding might absorb some vibrations which often are the cause of brake squeal. My brake started squealing shortly after I installed supposedly really good aftermarket pads (they're not). I installed one of these rubber padded clips but it did nothing, lol.

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead... is Item 12, a shim I suppose, required? I ask because my brakes did not come with them nor was it part of the brake kit that I bought from 650direct...

No, it's not required. It was another of Yamaha's anti-squeal measures.

Back