Swing arm needle roller bearing conversation

Daniel Spring

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have removed the brass bushes on my xs650d 1977 swing arm.
I have pressed in the new roller bearings,
I have noticed that there are no holes in the new centre rod spindle, whereas the old one that ran in the brass bushes has a small hole at each end on the wearing Face where the bushes fit, presumably for the grease from the niples on the pivot shaft to access the bearing via the pivot shaft.
The kit instructions say to pack the new assembly with grease, but without the holes in the centre rod shurly this makes the grease niples in the pivot shaft useless there after?
Or is s it that the grease packed on assembly is sufficient for the lifetime of needle roller bearings?
Has anyone got any thoughts on this, am I missing something?
Thanks Daniel

Unless the bearings are permanently sealed I doubt that they would be 'for life'.
I've no experience with these bearing but on my V Max Yamaha specify changing the grease on the taper roller s/a bearings every 2 years/ 24,000 km (15,200 mi).
It probably goes without saying I haven't done that with no apparent ill effect..... You decide.:unsure:

Thanks, I found a thread on the forum showing where to install another grease niple for this so I'll try that
Thanks again
D

Back