Swing arm Pivot tube

Measure them up for me MIck, if you have the time. I tried Mike's XS but they didn't carry them. Rang Jap. Spares here but they didn't have them. Neither did Geoff's as you pointed out. Johnny c14 made a set and has some spares he'll send me once I've established the relevant dimensions and I emailed the mob you got yours from and they have them for 23.50 euro - about $33.00 Oz dollars for 6, (hope 5 twins is on holiday!!!). Also got a local wrecker poking around in the arm off a GS750. I'm thinking of just ordering them from Heiden and being done without inconveniencing the blokes in this forum with postage hassles. Let me know the measurements and I'll make a decision - God! My wife is blonde and takes 20 minutes to order from a Macca's menu. Maybe it's catching.
Cheers

Can't you check a Yamaha dealer? It's still an available part.

Hello John
Just back from "Bunnings", (our version of Harbor Freight I imagine). Cheapest set of Vernier Calipers I could lay my hands on was $69.00. Which makes them an expensive item. The tool at "Bunnings" was only 150mm long so it was useless to me anyway. Ashmore Tools had the 250mm version for $98.00. 'Spose I could sell a daughter.....
Rang my local Yamaha dealer as 5 Twins suggested but the parts department couldn't locate the shims - young fellow wasn't all that interested in selling me a $2.00 piece on Saturday morning. This job is taking over the resto and my schedule is out the window. Think I'll just buy a half dozen .3mm from Heiden, torque up the arm correctly and play with the shims 'til it doesn't wiggle.
Am going to my room to be petulant!

You don't really need a 12" caliper. I used one because I have it. If you stand the swing arm up on a dead flat surface so the pivot tube is vertical you only need to measure the difference in height between the top of the pivot tube and the face of the swing arm bushing. You could lay a straight edge across the top of the pivot tube and measure the clearance to the bushing face with feeler blades. I don't think it's critical that you shim evenly on both sides. We are only taking about a few thousandths of an inch. These bikes were not built with that kind of accuracy. I only used a shim on one side as I only had enough clearance for one .015" (.4mm) shim. I suppose I could machine .008" off the outside of each bushing face and then put a shim in each side but I'm not building a grand piano here. :) :cheers:

John

Here ya go 0.30 mm thick

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

Johnny has it right, a couple thousandths difference is unimportant in this situation. David, you just need to take some of the slop out. You don't want to take all of the slop out unless you want to know how a hard tail would ride.

Back