Brake Conversion

Texasman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I want to add a front disc on left side. Does anyone offer a kit to go from single to dual front disc brakes. I have a 1980 special. Thanks for your help.

Probably the easiest route is to swap out to an XS750 front end....I think those forks are 36mm also, negligable (SP?) difference, but just a heads up.

Or just piece together a left side caliper and a stock caliper.

XS750 has a shorter stem you have to swap the stems (grind and weld) The calipers are the same on an XS750 / xs1100 IF they are not the special model the specials had different forks/calipers. Mikes XS offers the LH caliper new.

Go on ebay, XS750, xs 850 and xs1100 front callipers will work on the 650, the front rotors from an XS 1100 will work on the front of the XS650, but the front rotors on the xs750's, and the xs850's, will only swap to the rear of the XS650.
The resovoirs can be bought from mikes :yikes: or get a secondhand one from a XS750, XS850 or an XS1100 and then rebuild it, Mikes sells the splitter with the double hose banjo bolt for $20.00

Swaping the forks over you will need to swap the 650 tree stem into the 750 tripple tree

As 650skull says get the left side caliper to match the one you have. Some of the XS750, XS850 and XS1100 used a different caliper, look at the pics very closely.
Get another front rotor, they fit both sides. The XS1100 rotor, some are slotted, lighter and work better. If you shop around you may find them that are slotted and 5 mm thick nstead of the 7mm like the 650 uses. Much lighter and work vey well.
The longer banjo bolt, another lower hose. Replacing all three with Braided stainless is a very good upgrade. The stock Master cylinder is a 14 mm bore and is ideal for a dual disc front brake set up. Works great on mine.
Leo

Back