Brake light actuator on the handlebars...1972 xs650

gbobst

Geoffrey
Reaction score
.....Just bought this amazing bike and my hand brake does not light the tailbrake light when engaged.....is it supposed to?......and I think I see an actuator underneath, can anybody let me know if this needs replaced or if the light simply does not operate when the brake is pulled from the handle/front brakes? I have a parts manual/service manual on the way.....the foot/rear brakes light the brakelight.

It should light the brake light when the lever is pulled. I'm really not sure on the older bikes if it's adjustable or not. On the parts breakdown it looks to have two wires comming out of it with bullet connectors. Unplug the wires and jump the wires together from the harness side with the key on. If the light comes on you know the wiring from the switch back is ok and the switch could be the problem. If it doesn't light you have to start chasing down the wires to find the problem.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/500416e6f8700209bc784985/handle-wire

My handlebar brake light switch went out, the little plunger thing that contacts the handlebar brake lever wasn't making a good contact like it should. Check that out, I ordered a new one from Mikes xs and problem solved.

Most of these old switches are pretty easy to fix. If you take the switch apart and clean it, they'll usually still work fine. The biggest problem is making sure you don't lose any parts when you pull them apart. Most have springs inside that like to jump out when you open them up.

I have an XS2 and I got everything but the rear brake switch functional by cleaning up the contacts and putting them back together.

looks as though the copper was tarnished inside the swithch....a little sand paper on the end of a q-tip did the trick!.....easy removal and install. Thanks for the info Fullercameron!

Glad it worked. That's one of the nice things about these old bikes - you can actually see how most stuff works pretty easily which means you can also see how to fix it - as long as you don't lose anything when you take it apart.

Back