Honda DN-01 the odd duck

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So like an idiot I bought one on a whim.
680cc Vtwin,
Fuel injected
hydraulic swash plate transmission.
1688062978536.png

Three shift modes;
Drive
Sport, holds gears longer higher RPM
6 "speed" manual paddle shifting.
There are no gears just arbitary swash plate angle positions that imitate gears. In the automatic modes, engine speed remains fairly constant as the swash plate angle changes the input/output shaft ratio til you are in the final ratio. I need to confirm that a bit more.
Single side rear swing arm drive shaft, mono shock.
Very low seat height, feet forward riding position.
Lots of rake and long swept back handle bars make for different low speed handling. Road handling, manners, are normal. It has a slight tendency to drop into corners.
Short travel suspension for that low seat so it's not the best on bad pavement.
Long and fairly heavy.
ABS brakes. front brake handle is front only rear pedal also applies some front brake. plenty of Woah! Tested with several suicidal deer last night.
Has a (needed) parking brake, since there is no park gear, just neutral.
Seems like plenty of power, pulled us, two up up the curvy Baraboo bluff hill on 113 and accelerated past 55mph while doing it. Easily ran me at over 70MPH on the freeway and that seemed relaxed. Two up, leg room was a bit limited for longshanks.
ZERO storage on the bike, this one has a huge Givi trunk that pretty much spoils the lines.
ad1.jpg

I think replacing the passenger seat with a soft mounted bag would increase rider legroom, let me put my knees behind the tank flares, make a rider backrest and add some storage in a better looking package. Not to mention look better.
ad3.jpgad4.jpgad5.jpg
That's all for now. Will report on Allison's first ride impressions.

Very cool! I’m so glad you started a thread on this very interesting bike! 😃 A lot of Honda‘s superb engineering went into this bike. Not everyone appreciates automatic transmissions on motorcycles but I am intrigued by them, before I bought my Suzuki I looked long and hard for a Honda NC750x, but to no avail, I just couldn’t find one anywhere.
Side note on that big rear trunk. When I was commuting to work on my Suzuki V-Strom I had one of those Weber kettles on the back, you just really can’t beat them for hauling but it did affect the bikes handling at above legal speeds. When the trunk was off, that bike could easily sail above 90+ MPH,
but with the trunk in place, if you approached 80 and above the front end would start to feel light and slightly wobbly. You wouldn’t think a piece of luggage could affect aerodynamics so, but it did.
Not that it was ever really a problem.

Swashplate is hard to do. Lotta wear and friction...but these are mere engineering problems, and it seems like Honda has managed them well. I am very impressed! I had no idea!

In the 1930's before jets has demonstrated practicality, some big swash-plate aero engines were built, with opposed pistons in cylinders arrayed as in a pistol, better frontal area an' all of that, and the cylinders could stack horizontally. These engines were subsumed by the German nazi advance East.

Speaking of Honda... longlongtimeago in Playboy, a letter about a James Bond novel set about 1960, spoke of a "500 Honda" following a bus in Japan...said letter questioned the existence of a "500 Honda" at that time. Playboy editor replied that the 500 Honda was not exported. Thus question now remain> Did Honda build, circa 1960 or so, a 500cc scooter? Playboy was specific that such had been in production and in use.

Best!

I'm starting to worry about you! Lol.
Pax Vobiscum. Sometimes I too worry. But not so much as I used to. Most lives are merely a brief time on tour in the park....I've tried to look at every exhibit. Still looking. And I remember Truman as el presidente, and I'm not done yet.

Swashplate is hard to do. Lotta wear and friction...but these are mere engineering problems, and it seems like Honda has managed them well. I am very impressed! I had no idea!
Swashplate pumps are what Moses used to part the Red Sea. Jus' kiddin', but the point is they're a tried and true method of power delivery... been around for at least a century. If you've ever flown on a Boeing, MD or airbus airliner, odds are about 99% there was multiple swashplate "variable delivery" (like what Honda's doin' here) hydraulic pumps running the gear, flaps, flight controls etc.... I've overhauled/replaced hundreds of 'em in my career.
so yeah.... not at all hard to do.
40north, I know it seems like I'm always bustin' your chops. Trust me, that's NOT intentional. Just when I see something that's false on it face... I say sumpin'... sorry.

Last edited:
Swashplate pumps are what Moses used to part the Red Sea. Jus' kiddin', but the point is they're a tried and true method of power delivery... been around for at least a century. If you've ever flown on a Boeing, MD or airbus airliner, odds are about 99% there was multiple swashplate "variable delivery" (like what Honda's doin' here) hydraulic pumps running the gear, flaps, flight controls etc.... I've overhauled/replaced hundreds of 'em in my career.
40north, I know it seems like I'm always bustin' you chops. Trust me, that's NOT intentional. Just when I see something that's false on it face... I say sumpin'... sorry.
Dude, no sweat. And Thanks! They are hard to do....read Marks 1940 on the aero engines and the lube problems. We agree that the engineering has got better, but they're still hard to do. Mind you, I am stuck in analogue vacuum tubes...and steam. https://www.amazon.com/Marks-Handbook-Mechanical-Engineers-4th/dp/B005VFUMFW (copy on my shelf, and it's not for sale!)
I admired the Honda success. Of course sp hydo systems are old stuff, but power trains are harder to do, and ic engines even harder...mostly internal friction issues. Noting many air conditioning pumps have long been sw. I was surprised that a lightweight sw trans worked at 650 cc power levels. And wonder, therefore, how long the plateset lasts and how the friction is moderated. The staging of "gears" seems to me to suggest asymmetrical wear... but it's not my generation of experience, outside of hydraulic pumps/motors and variable speed drives in mills, in industrial settings, I retired about 15 years ago, and I was already a bit redundant...bad attitude too. And the Union went 2 chit... Easy my brother. Best!

680cc Vtwin,
Fuel injected
View attachment 246213
Three shift modes;
Drive
There are no gears just arbitary swash plate angle positions that imitate gears. In the automatic modes, engine speed remains fairly constant as the swash plate angle changes the input/output shaft ratio til you are in the final ratio. I need to confirm that a bit more.
Lots of rake and long swept back handle bars make for different low speed handling. Road handling, manners, are normal. It has a slight tendency to drop into corners.
Long and fairly heavy.
ABS brakes. front brake handle is front only rear pedal also applies some front brake. plenty of Woah! Tested with several suicidal deer last night.
Seems like plenty of power, pulled us, two up up the curvy Baraboo bluff hill on 113 and accelerated past 55mph while doing it. Easily ran me at over 70MPH on the freeway and that seemed relaxed. Two up, leg room was a bit limited for longshanks.
ZERO storage on the bike, this one has a huge Givi trunk that pretty much spoils the lines.
View attachment 246215

I think replacing the passenger seat with a soft mounted bag would increase rider legroom, let me put my knees behind the tank flares, make a rider backrest and add some storage in a better looking package. Not to mention look better.
View attachment 246216View attachment 246217View attachment 246218
In February 2013,thought we’d try a brand new Yamaha Majesty 400 and Suzuki Bergman 650.Had to be a dealer old guy tester dummy one last time,again.Kept the Yamaha.Both, very comparable rider and comfort design elements/ERGONOMICALLY as I was told.Gaylene tried and tried in the 893 miles.Was/is not comfortable.It sits in its keeper corner now for a later date.Interested to hear of Allisons first ride impressions. I know an aging fiberglass intern.

Attachments

• 5DD01E11-8A75-4E32-A126-D08C98464976.jpeg
    5DD01E11-8A75-4E32-A126-D08C98464976.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 39
  • A1600B2B-B6CA-4859-B17C-DFDBCB62EE32.jpeg
    A1600B2B-B6CA-4859-B17C-DFDBCB62EE32.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 43
S
40north, I know it seems like I'm always bustin' your chops. Trust me, that's NOT intentional. Just when I see something that's false on it face... I say sumpin'... sorry.
Sumpin’✅.👍

Attachments

• 956CC045-276B-4E39-A351-C45A7CF3194D.jpeg
    956CC045-276B-4E39-A351-C45A7CF3194D.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 44F14949-1898-4A4A-AFFB-B94384A4472B.jpeg
    44F14949-1898-4A4A-AFFB-B94384A4472B.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 45
680cc Vtwin,
Fuel injected
View attachment 246213
Three shift modes;
Drive
Long and fairly heavy.
View attachment 246215

View attachment 246216View attachment 246217View attachment 246218
Never see one on the road. Very interesting machine.

Longer take; it's like her (ex) 750 shadow size rider position weight. But the squirt and go is attractive. She put on 20+ miles did parking lot manuevers gave it a decent trial. She commented her hands didn't go numb with that handlebar reach/angle, a common MC issue for her.
Lots of room for her. we both agree that big ole Givi on the back is fuggly. But some storage will be needed.

Back