brake light HELP!!!

TRYGAR

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i've been running an led taillight on my 81 650 for the last 5 months, its been working fine, but now all of a sudden my running light works but my brake light indicator isnt working anymore.

The tail light I have has 3 wires, if i switch the red wire with the yellow wire, then the brake light works when i hit my brake levers but the running light does not stay on. and vise versa if I switch the wires back, my running light stays on but my brake light does work when i hit my brake levers...any ideas?

Attachments

• photo-30.jpg
    photo-30.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 175
I'm guessing there are two sets of LEDs and one has burned out. IE you have signal from both tail and brake sources but one set of LEDs is FUBAR. I hope you can get a warrantee replacement.
You may not have noticed but the XS is a bit of a shaker. Walk down a line of the years of XS650 and see all the changes the engineers made to deal with tail light vibration. It's possible the LED boards are not up to the task of a solid mount back there. But lots of LEDs are driven too hard and fail due to poor design. The LEDs are provided with more voltage than they can handle to make them bright at a low cost. Solder those connector bullets to their wires is good practice.

I desagree about that the problem is the led tail light, the OP try both wires of it and both lights work, parking light and stop light, but the bike is not sending those signals to the tail light, so he have to check the wires connections in the bike to see if both signals are in the back or going to the tail light.

I desagree about that the problem is the led tail light, the OP try both wires of it and both lights work, parking light and stop light, but the bike is not sending those signals to the tail light, so he have to check the wires connections in the bike to see if both signals are in the back or going to the tail light.
agreed here... temporarily hook up a known good tail light, the stock one if u have it, and work fro there.

if i switch the red wire with the yellow wire, then the brake light works when i hit my brake levers but the running light does not stay on. and vise versa if I switch the wires back, my running light stays on but my brake light does work when i hit my brake levers...any ideas?

brake light side is burnt out .... if you read his wording only one side lights when power is appplied either from tail light wire or brake light wire

brake light side is burnt out .... if you read his wording only one side lights when power is appplied either from tail light wire or brake light wire

Exactly, the problem is the signal from the bike, no the tail light...

Back