Brake lights staying on:

I'd start with the switch by your right foot/rear break. It's mechanical with moving components, maybe something is preventing it from opening.

No prob. The front brake also has a contact in the right hand switch housing. I would unscrew the housing and spray it with an electric contact cleaner, work the switches back and forth. A lot of corrosion, dirt, and grime builds up over 30 plus years.

Yes, there is a smaller set of insulated wires that run out of that housing, in addition to a larger bundle and the actual brake cable. The smaller bundle is for the front brake and it runs to the brake switch near your right foot peg. Open the housing up and spray all the contacts with a good quality non-residue electrical contact cleaner and move the back and forth. Wait a bit for the spray to evaporate, seal the housing back up and check your light.

Thought I had it fixed:banghead::mad:but brake lights staying on again, got any pic's on brake light contacts and is there any other ground wires I should be looking for? That brake switch near foot peddle, can you see it?

Yeah, it is right behind the frame, where it angles down to the foot pedal. There are two black wires that come out of it. I'd check there, as both the front brake and the rear use that switch to complete the circuit that turns on the brake light. The rear brake utilizes a wire/cable that gets pulled by the foot/rear brake/pedal, to complete/activate the circuit. Check and make sure that that cable is releasing properly.

Hi Richard,
while it's always good to clean electrical connections they ain't your problem.
The connections must be good or the brake light wouldn't come on at all.
What you have is a mechanical problem, check if both the switches are being properly operated.

Hi Richard,
while it's always good to clean electrical connections they ain't your problem.
The connections must be good or the brake light wouldn't come on at all.
What you have is a mechanical problem, check if both the switches are being properly operated.

Yeah. What fredintoon said. If the wiring was bad, there wouldn't be any brake light. Check the switch again. You said yesterday that it worked after you cleaned it, and that it had been sticking. Maybe there is some kind of short in the housing itself between the switch components.

Hey guys,pulled the bullet plugs on rear switch, clean them and seems to be working with foot peddle, then squeeze front brake handle and brake lights stay on. Its main the front one now. I followed the wire from front brakes, looks like it goes in my headlight bucket?

On the bottom of the perch is a hole. Pushing from the bottom will release the switch for the front brake. You may find it easier to loosen the perch bolts and swiveling it to the side but it is doable in the position it is in. And yes the wires go to the bucket.

Because the front brake switch changed over the years it might be handy if you put your model in your signature. Not everyone knows or cares to go back through posts to see what you have.

Hi richard,
you could try replacing the front switch, if yours is hooped it's most likely not fixable.
MikesXS sells an exact replacement for ~$6 and also a hydraulically operated brake banjo bolt/switch combo for ~$14.

I seem to be having problems finding the front switch or is the in the brake handle assembly? I know that's probably a stupid question, I'll post pic where I think is the problem.

not sure about (on the bottom of the perch is a hole) show me this hole your talking about? here is pic of brake handle, could the problem be in here?

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 116
If you can't get down to look let your fingers be your eyes.
Where the wires go into the perch feel along the bottom/underside about 1 inch back from the wires.
Or loosen the perch and turn it. Or use a mirror.
Of course I gave this advice with the assumption that you are working with stock/oem parts. . . . .

Back