Neutral light stays on

Well as I understand it the light comes on when the switch on top of the transmission is grounded. So first thing I would disconnect that wire and see if light goes out.

If it stays on I'd be checking for that wire to be shorting to ground some place between the switch on the light.

If disconnecting the wire at switch turns light off I'd suspect a bad switch.

Anyone else have ideas?

Maybe the pin in the switch unit is sticking? Could remove the switch, check the pin is free, maybe a shot of WD40 and replace.

You will want to have a small screwdriver for it. I don't recall if I used my JS2 bit or not but i dont' think I did.
Clean off the contacts while you are there if its not the issue. That switch seems easy to replace ?
I wonder if that can back out and give a false neutral?

https://www.xs650.com/threads/neutral-light-wiring.34707/
Ah, yes, IIRC the screw that holds the wire into the switch is really tiny - need a very small cross-head driver. But I was thinking that it's quite easy to undo the whole switch unit. If it need replacing, they're not very expensive.

Well as I understand it the light comes on when the switch on top of the transmission is grounded. So first thing I would disconnect that wire and see if light goes out.

If it stays on I'd be checking for that wire to be shorting to ground some place between the switch on the light.

If disconnecting the wire at switch turns light off I'd suspect a bad switch.

Anyone else have ideas?
This is exactly the correct way to go about it. Troubleshoot it to the actual problem FIRST, THEN start correcting what's wrong. Why pull the switch out if you don't know that's what the problem is?

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=006edbf6a4866f4787713fa2901a8abced46271e

1705113781378.png

Unfortunately, the new switches are all plastic. I bought one a few years back but never used it. My original was leaking a little bit but I managed to seal it up (it was just a little loose, lol).

Any possibility that your wire was grounding out on the engine, wire touching the engine? Excuse me for the simple question, but if so, then your switch might be good.

Back