Neutral light wiring

LucasRat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell how to wire a neutral light. I've never had one wired on my '77, and wouldn't mind having it. I'm just running basic wires out of a fuse box. I have a mini speedo, so do I just run a wire from that straight to the little nipple under the carbs (as shown in picture)? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 1,712
Can anybody tell how to wire a neutral light. I've never had one wired on my '77, and wouldn't mind having it. I'm just running basic wires out of a fuse box. I have a mini speedo, so do I just run a wire from that straight to the little nipple under the carbs (as shown in picture)? Thanks for any help!

Pretty much, battery to one side of the neutral lamp then run a wire to the switch on the transmision on the opposite side of the lamp.

Run power after the switch to a bulb, from the bulb to the neutral switch.
The switch grounds the circuit.
Leo

The XS650 never had an oil light. Not oil level or oil pressure. If you ever read your repair manual you would know this.
Leo

Hmmm. No luck yet. I've run a wire from the fuse box straight to the green line on the mini speedo for the light. Then a wire from the green/black wire to the neutral nipple. No light though. When I put the wire on the engine or frame the light comes on. Just not when it's on the neutral switch. Any suggestions?

Hmmm. No luck yet. I've run a wire from the fuse box straight to the green line on the mini speedo for the light. Then a wire from the green/black wire to the neutral nipple. No light though. When I put the wire on the engine or frame the light comes on. Just not when it's on the neutral switch. Any suggestions?

bad switch or not in the neutral detent of the drum, pull the switch and check it with a VOM

You don't need to pull the switch, just hook up a meter to the neutral switch and ground. Put the bike in neutral, when in neutral you should see the meter change from infinity to a low ohm reading.
Leo

7FFEC672-B388-4D2E-B456-47F809FB9104.jpeg
there is oil coming out of my neutral switch (71’)
Do I need to replace the switch, can I remove and cap it or is there a gasket which I should be replacing?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Back