XS650SF - removal of light checker, RLU & Safety Relay

If your bike is over 40yrs old you don’t need an MOT to register it in the UK
Yes, I believe so, though a couple of guys who regularly import bikes and register them have advised me that things go smoother with an MOT, and they advised I go this route.

This forum is awesome! This thread was key to figuring out non-lighting headlight on my grand daughter's 1980 XS650 Special. It would come on/off intermitently. From this thread, I figured out it was the headlight relay as I had 5.5 volts yellow to the relay on the yellow wire to the relay, and no voltage coming out of relay to the RSU. Jumpering across in/out red wires at relay got the headlight working perfectly. Found a brand new old stock relay at a place called MotoMike's in Canada...it's on the way. They have 6 more NOS genuine Yamaha 2F0-81950-50-00 relays in stock if anyone is interested. Not sure why they have them as they sell motorcycle clothing and accessories, buy hey...a google search of the part number brought up MotoMike's. So it will be a plug and play - and fits in same location and mounting holes. Great resource here on the board!!!

Brilliant info 5twins. Thank you very much. It gives me a much better understanding of the headlight circuit. Been pissin around trying to figure the headlight out, rather than waste people's time on here, but that was clearly a mistake. Cheers again.
Just wondering if relay is not working, if it will be OK to jumper the R/Y wire to the L/B wire right before the connector for the relays? I have done this and the bendix seems to hang on a bit once engine starts. This jumper is temporary as I hafeva new relay assy on order. I have placed the jumper so there is a lit headlight on the bike until new relay comes in.
Thanks!
Tony

1692233812871.png

Disregard the text labels; as I copied this diagram from another thread. Jumpering R/Y to L/B is OK as a temporary fix for your maybe faulty Safety Relay. The Safety Relay itself is very reliable. In the case from the above diagram, the problem was dirty , corroded contact points inside the relay. The other condition that can occur is a fault in the alternator that causes no current to flow on the yellow wire that triggers the relay. I suggest checking output on that yellow wire from the stator: it should be ~5 volts AC current @ 2000 rpm

View attachment 249283
Disregard the text labels; as I copied this diagram from another thread. Jumpering R/Y to L/B is OK as a temporary fix for your maybe faulty Safety Relay. The Safety Relay itself is very reliable. In the case from the above diagram, the problem was dirty , corroded contact points inside the relay. The other condition that can occur is a fault in the alternator that causes no current to flow on the yellow wire that triggers the relay. I suggest checking output on that yellow wire from the stator: it should be ~5 volts AC current @ 2000 rpm
The yellow wire shows 5V while R/Y to L/B showed no voltage. Relay is not triggering. Are these relays serviceable? Somehoe I think not..,

relays serviceable?
There are contacts inside that can be cleaned and solder joints that can be repaired. But you do have a new one on the way.......

I have done this and the bendix seems to hang on a bit once engine starts.
Fwiw... and contrary to popular belief, having the bendix spin on for a bit after start generally won't hurt a thing. If you think about it... it's a "bendix" type engagement system, that's how it works. As soon as the engine speed exceeds the starter speed, the bendix disengages. There's no danger of damaging the starter or it's gearing... it's just freewheeling. Yes, it's sounds like hell... like it's gonna blow up.

It's not.

Back