Brake line and banjo fitting? Torque?

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just bought a brakeline from 650 central and I was who wondering what torque is required to attach the banjo fitting to the actual brakeline. I'd also like to know what torque is required for the actual banjo bolt itself. Ive heard that 650 central sells delicate bolts or fitting and I don't want to destroy something.

they are delicate because they are hollow. Some metals are more brittle than others, But they are all pretty soft.
I cant find a torque setting rite now, but Ive never thought about it.
I just clean the copper rings, make sure the mc and the bolt head surfaces are clean and flat, and snug it on.
After proper bleeding, really give it a pull, a few times, just like if you had to stop like, RITE NOW!! And hold it. See if it leaks.
Thats pretty much all I do, Maybe Im doing it wrong and on the verge of a brutal wipe out, but so far-so good.

I'm not too worried about the actual banjo bolts. I'm more worried about the fitting that attach to the actual brake line. Here's a picture of the bolt and the fitting.
BBO-001-001-800.jpg

I have used 8 ft-lbs torque for banjo bolts. They stay tight and no leakage.

I don't see how you could put a torque wrench on the banjo to brake line connection, unless you have a special wrench. Easy does it when tightning by hand because you could do damage if you use to much force.

Like all flared fittings the angled face of the connection makes the seal, not brute force.
RG couldn't you use a crows foot on the torque wrench?
Of course you would need to recalculate the force?

Yes, a crows foot works well with torque wrenches. Calcultaing the torque difference isn't hard to do and is nessarry. Most people don't even know what a crows foot is let alone have one.
Leo

Back