Brake switch ideas? (drum)

9c1cap

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Nixxed the right side handlebar switch in favor of generic MX levers. Bike has drums front and rear. Trying to come up with how to incorporate a brake light switch without it looking cobbled up or out of place. Any ideas?? Im sure Im not the first to do this... :shrug:

I know I'm new here, but I've too much going on right now-nobody would want to read a 2 page bio about a KZ project that has gone too far..............

Anyway, maybe put up a pic of your bike, wo we can see what you have going on-you may be able to do a mag switch or something on your rear-a pic would help, I think.

Justen
Nipple Twisters Wheelcraft
Genoa City, WI

-77 KZ 650
-78 KZ 650
-86 HD 883 stretched, raked-better than yours
-97 HD FXDWG-not much that you'd recognize to a stocker, anyway that's my intro!!:doh:

Th rear brake switch shouldn't be too hard, it was mounted on the frame next to the brake pedal. The front might be a bit harder. On my old Rupp minibike it has a switch nooked between the end of the cable casing and the lever perch. It was two metal rings held apart by a rubber gromet. As you pulled the lever, the cable case squeezed the metal parts together.

A while back I had a brake switch on the rear only. I just made sure I used both brakes all the time. At least never the front only which comes pretty natural if you know what I mean. I used a standard Yam switch on my rear barke, just moved the mounting bracket to where I needed it and drilled a new hole in the brake pivot arm. It took a bit of testing to find the right spot. You need to be able to adjust it later and there is not much threads to move the switch unit. You can always cut the spring if need or add a link to the spring to extend it, like I did. As you are finding, thr front might take more thgought. What did they do on the older bikes with fromt drums?

All you really need to do is mount two contacts that touch when the lever is pulled. There used to be something that they made for bicycles that you could install inline in the cable housing. It was just two contacts with a spring separating them. When the lever was pulled the spring compressed and the contact touched, make the brake light come on.

You could probably hooked something up on your front drum and have wires running down to it, but that looks like shit.

The best bet is to just tap the rear brake every time you slow down.

Thanks for the ideas! Beau that looks like a good possibility. Once the rain stops tho im gonna go up to the shed and check my old Rupp to see if it has the same switch XSLeo is talking about!!

Trust me fellers if this was my own bike it wouldnt be an issue, but it is for a friend of mine and it is her first bike! So Im trying to make everything as safe and simple as possible for her....

Craig

Back