Brand new $9 shocks and $14 solo bobber/chopper seats (new vendor you need to see)

Jeeter

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
NOTE: I have absolutely no affiliation with the below mentioned retailer, neither professional nor personal, other than having been one of their customers. I simply wish to share a supplier I've used in the past with the membership here. Thanks!

SHOCK ABSORBERS:

I've used these shocks on a few project bikes before. They are really no worse or no better than a set of brand new OEM shocks from most older streetbikes. At $9 to $15 each they are excellent bobber or mockup shocks. Hellacious bargain.

http://www.baileynet.com/Shock-Absorbers

As I said I have used these exact shocks from this exact supplier before and they totally beat spending the same (or more) money on some 45 year old crappy used eBay wundershox that are $100 bucks per pair because they're "vintage". OBVIOUSLY these will not perform up there with units going for quite literally fifty-times the price of these bargains (a good set of Racetechs or Works Performance units will easily hit $1K these days, which is actually more than 50x the cost of these low priced overseas constructs), or even any better than a base-level set of Progressive Suspension shocks, but they are at least as good as the OEM'ers or any other old used eBay units. Jyoo know what I means, mangs?

Spring rate is ~roughly~ about approximately sorta-kinda in the area of around 130/150 per inch. These are just welded-up non-rebuildable fully sealed shocks, exactly like the OEM crap that we all suffered with (and in some cases we still do, even on today's brand new bikes) a long time ago in that galaxy far away called the 1970s. They're just painted (not powdercoated) which makes refinishing easy if you want some other color.

BOBBER/CHOPPER SOLO SEATS:

Now, these seats are probably exactly the same as what 99% of all retailers are marketing as "vintage bobber/chopper solo seat" for as much as $150. I've purchased about a dozen of these exact seats over the years from this exact vendor, they have 100% all steel bases, as-good-as-any-other mounting hardware, and upholstery that will last a few years but are very easily redone with far better upholstery if desired. As I said these seats seem to be identical to what is being peddled on the interwebs except these are only $14.00 (yup, fourteen bucks!) each.

http://www.baileynet.com/product/9633

These seats come complete with chromed beehive coil springs, the adjustable stainless hardware mounting thingy in front, a couple of crappy hardware grade bolts/nuts/flats (appear to be 3/8's). They are 9 inches wide at the widest point, and 12 inches long, with ~roughly~ an inch or so of padding. The seat cover is fixed to the all metal pan with a boatload of Phillips' head screws, so changing or repairing the seat cover (or adding/changing padding) is fairly easy and something anyone that's decent with their hands can probably tackle recovering themselves. In my case we live so close to Mexico that we have a TON of highly skilled upholsterers in our area, so I typically allow those who are good at it to do that type of thing for me (a fella has to know his limits!). I still have three of these seats that are brand new still in box (spares!), I've tried other vendors' seats and for all the world they appear to be identical in every way except these are far less expensive.

I'm as convinced as I can be that this retailer has pretty much zip-clue about marketing these items to DIY bikers, otherwise I'm sure these shocks and seats would be 5x the prices they are now.

So I just thought I'd share the find. :)

I appreciate the links. Couple things:
the link to the solo seat comes up as:
FILTER ASSEMBLY 25 MICRON 3/4" NPTF PORTS FOR TRACTOR SUPPLY
after you drop it in your shopping cart.

shockabsorbers2.jpg

The 12-3/4" shock looks pretty good.

shockabsorbers3.jpg

The 11-7/8" shock looks a little lite, and the catalog description says for go-carts and mini bikes. Have you tried this shock? Thanks...

I've not tried the smaller shock, it looks like it would be best suited to ATV (front) or lighter bikes though, perhaps 250cc or so streetbikes.

Let me check that link, their website was kinda nutso when I constructed the thread, perhaps they're adding or changing inventory or updating the webpage at present. I'll recheck the link again.

Thanks.

Anyway you could post a few pics of seat?
Yea, sure. :) I've been dealing with recovering from a little surgical procedure I had done about a week ago, that said I've been meaning to shoot a number of pictures of a lot of things that need to be photographed, but I haven't really felt up to doing pretty much anything the last few days. I'm feeling a bit better today (totally kicking the narco pain meds I'd been on for a while was a major improvement all by itself!) so I'm hoping to get active with the camera!

Bla bla bla ...........

Much appreciated. Cheapest decent pan on eBay are 49 bucks. I do leatherwork and have been looking for new source. Thanks

Ive been making seats for a few years now. I finally got enough resources and time dedicated to be able to keep them in stock ...

Ive started making some solo seats... I would definitely sell the pans if there was a demand... Check my store in my signature...

Has studs tig welded on for hinge mounts, and spring mounts... I could even include a hinge if needed...

cheers

Ok, so here's the pictures. I'm sorry it took me far longer than I had said it would to post these pics, I've been sortof overwhelmed with these medical issues. So anyhow, here's a few shots of one of these seats. I like them and they're ridiculously easy to work with (resizing, reshaping, remounting, and so on). They're made of carbon steel and are so easily worked that they're great to have around. I'm fairly sure that they're not much different from any of the ~other~ solo seats floating around out there, if they're any different at all. The shiney looking cover is actually just a plastic covering to protect the seat cover during shipping. The seat cover is the same-old-same-old low cost vinyl/"naugahide" (spelling?) in a matte black finish, y'know just like all of the other solo seats out there. The stitching is well done enough, and as I said before these seat pans are so easily recovered that any upholsterer with reasonable skills can do something ~better~ with these things (tuck/roll, custom sunthin sunthin, and so on).

So yea .. more bla bla bla .... ;)

Attachments

• IMGP2102.jpg
    IMGP2102.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 262
  • IMGP2108.jpg
    IMGP2108.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMGP2112.jpg
    IMGP2112.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 262
Jester... Glad your feeling better. Thanks again for pics. It was mentioned before that the link was in question for said seat. Did you ever look into that?

its seems to be a cheap seat all right, but any word of advice i could give for a bike that is meant to be ridden a lot and for long period of times...make it comfortable, buy a nicer you wont regret it.

its seems to be a cheap seat all right, but any word of advice i could give for a bike that is meant to be ridden a lot and for long period of times...make it comfortable, buy a nicer you wont regret it.
Well, good, bad, or indifferent there's quite a few folks that use these things. I happened to discover a supplier for them that sells them for less than the usual bike parts suppliers and I'm sharing it with the membership here. It kinda starts and ends right there. :)

Last edited:
Jester... Glad your feeling better. Thanks again for pics. It was mentioned before that the link was in question for said seat. Did you ever look into that?
No I have not, sorry .. :doh:

In fact I only just got back home about an hour ago from another 10+ hour round trip to the VA hospital where I had another small surgical procedure done today. So yea, I've kinda been otherwise occupied, sorry. :)

Let me see what I can find out about that tonight. I'll see if I still have my invoice for the seats I bought, perhaps there's a better inventory number on it.

:D

thats awesome man! seriously is and i completely understand that. i just dont want someone buying their first seat and be disappointed that it's uncomfortable because their ass cheeks are hanging off it or the mounting studs are cheap and the snap off easily or for whatever reason, never said don't buy. just giving more info on the seat is all....

Yea, you need to know what you're getting in to when you use this type of stuff. I tried to provide as many dimensions as I could to properly represent them. Hardtail solo-seat race inspired bikes aren't for everyone, that's for certain, Mertin!

Best to ya. :)

I would add that the rear studs appear to be MIG welded into place, and the welds look as good as anything I can do myself, so ..... yea. All of the welds appear to be fine, as fine as any of these seats anyhow.

The thing is that these seats are not "bolt on" units anyway (some fabrication will most likely be required to install one on nearly any bike), so I tend to think that most folks that opt for this type of seat have welding/fab abilities and resources. These seats are cost effective enough that one is willing to modify, lengthen, shorten, add-to, whatever, everwhat to these things. They're so easy to monkey with and refit that it's easy to see why the goofy things have been so popular for so many years. They may be "cheapo" but they are very easily made into something nice, and something unique. The pans are no better or worse than most Japanese seat pans from the 60's/70's, in fact they may even be heavier guage steel. So if you want/need a basic pan at low cost to modify and have some ultra-badass upholstery added to it, these are the shizz nizzle.

Or not. :)

Jeeter... I spoke with a rep at baileys and asked for a description of product 221060 ( link from seat). The described it as filter assembly previously mentioned.

When I described the solo seat to the the rep, he said the only seats they sell have backs ( tractor style).

If you locate an old invoice with product number on it, please post whrn you get a chance. Hopefully, these seats ate stull available. Thanks again.

Didn't know where to put this, so a quick update.
An option for folks wanting cheap and temporary, rummage thru some recycling/scrapyard places where they have the hundreds of tossed out exercise machines. Simple padded solo seats...

Attachments

• ExerciseSeat.jpg
    ExerciseSeat.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Didn't know where to put this, so a quick update.
An option for folks wanting cheap and temporary, rummage thru some recycling/scrapyard places where they have the hundreds of tossed out exercise machines. Simple padded solo seats...
yep...that reminded me of the one gramps had in the rumpus room back in the 80's.

Back